What is Meditation?
Whatever lifestyle one follows; inner peace, well-being, and happiness add definite value and the path to reach there is through “Meditation”. Meditation has been practiced in India for thousands of years. It helps us to resolve our inner conflicts in the light of knowledge, reduce stress and keep us calm. In the 1970s medical researchers at Harvard University began studying on Mantra meditation. Based on those studies, Harvard researchers developed a form of Mantra meditation that easily elicits the relaxation response and started teaching that meditation to doctors through Harvard Medical School.
Meditation has been known to give the body and mind deep rest which is deeper than the rest one gets from sleep. As also it’s strongly believed that regular meditation and resultant deep rest reduces stress and results in many direct and indirect benefits to the human being. For the newly initiated, Mantra meditation is an easier path because all the person has to do is to repeat the mantra in the right way and think of the meaning deeply. This has the power to bring substantial positive changes to one’s life. The effect of a mantra or for a trained person, the act of going into deep meditation simply involves making the mind free from agitation, calm, serene and at peace. Meditation happens from this point onwards.
What are the benefits of Meditation?
- Meditation can lower blood pressure, cholesterol and the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Done properly with discipline, meditation, it can help relieve stress, depression, insomnia, sleeplessness, anxiety, and worry thereby increasing productivity, learning, happiness, well-being, and inner peace.
- Gives positivity
- Develops the power to concentrate
- Gives clarity of perception and ideas
- Gives inner strength
- Helps to deal with emotional issues
- Has the ability to connect and draw from inner source of energy
- Gives Relaxation & rejuvenation
When and Where to Meditate?
Best time to meditate is early morning. If difficult, then evening at sunset time
Any open space without much noise or disturbance can be a good place for meditation (park/garden or an airy room or balcony)
Simple meditation tips/method for a beginner
- Choose a convenient time and open space
- Sit comfortably with a light stomach
- At the beginner level just take deep breaths and think some happy thoughts
- During the process of meditation, try to keep a beautiful smile on your face
It’s not necessary to spend a lot of time, done with proper technique a small time spent in meditation can go a long way in restoring your energy levels, peace and sharpening your mental capabilities.
To know about more such inspiring people, Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.