Amazon River facts – Do you know, Amazon is the largest river in the world in terms of the amount of water discharge! And the total water released by the Amazon River alone is more than the total discharge of 7 next largest rivers of the world together! To know more unknown facts about the Amazon River keep on reading this article.
Amazon River facts – Amazon Rainforest Facts
Unknown facts about the Amazon River
- In terms of length, Amazon is the second largest river in the world, the largest being the Nile. Located in South America, it runs through Guyana, Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia and Peru.
- 7,831,000 cubic feet or 209,000 cubic meters water is discharged every second by the Amazon river.
- How long is the Amazon River? The length of the Amazon River is approx. 6400 kilometers (4000 miles).
- During the rainy season, the Amazon River widthcan reach over 190 kilometers (120 miles).
Amazon River facts
- Width of the Amazon river ranges between 1.6 and 10 km during the dry season and increases to up to 48 km during the wet season.
- There is no bridge that crosses the River Amazon, and most of the water runs through the rainforest rather than roads or cities. – Amazon River facts
- Amazon River enters the Atlantic Ocean with a width of 150 miles or 240 kilometers and because of its immense width, it is referred to as ‘The River Sea’.
- Amazon River is known by different names in different countries. Solimões in Brazil, Amazon downstream in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and other Spanish-speaking countries.
- Amazon has the largest drainage basin in the entire world.
Amazon Rainforest River Facts
Do read: Unknown Facts about Incredible India
- 20% of Earth’s freshwater coming to the oceans comes from the Amazon. The freshwater that enters Atlantic flows on top of the seawater because freshwater is lighter.
- The largest city along the Amazon River is Manaus which is located in Brazil and is home to over 1.7 million people.
- Amazon River has more than 3000 known species of fish, with more being constantly discovered. – Amazon River facts
- It is home to Anaconda, one of the largest snakes in the world, who sometimes also attack larger animals such as goats that get to close the water.
- The Amazon River is also home to the piranha, a dangerous meat-eating type of fish. – Amazon River facts
- Amazon River originated somewhere between 11.8 million and 11.3 million years back in the Miocene Epoch. The current shape of the river is 2.4 million years back.