Some lesser known facts about A R Rahman
“AR Rahman” the name speaks for itself. AR Rahman is one of the best things that happened to the Indian music industry. He is known for his fusion of Indian classical music with western music which makes his performances a beautiful mix of traditional as well as modern music arrangements. AR Rahman is not only known for his compositions, but some of the songs sung by him have also become the superhit. His music and especially the song “Jai Ho” in Slumdog Millionaire brought him the prestigious “Oscar” award.Apart from this, Rahman has also won many National and International awards including four National Film Awards, two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, oneBAFTA Award, one Golden Globe, 15 Filmfare Awards and 16 Filmfare Awards in South.
Today, on his 51st Birthday, we bring to you some lesser known facts about the AR Rahman :
- AR Rahman was born as a Hindu and his original name is DileepShekharbut he embraced Islam after his seriously ill younger sister was cured by a Sufi saint Karimullah Shah Qadri. DileepShekharthen became Allah Rakha Rahman.
- His first salary was Rs.50 earned for operating a record player.
- A street in Markham, Ontario, Canada has been named in his honor in November 2013.
- Rahman is the only Indian to be featured in ‘List of best-selling music artists of the world’.
- He is also the first Asian to have won 2 Oscars in the same year for the film Slumdog Millionaire.
- Rahman has two nicknames: ‘The Mozart of Madras’&‘Isai Puyal’
- Time magazine added him to its list of World’s Most Influential People in 2009.
- In his childhood, A R Rahman was seen in Doordarshan’s Wonder Balloon where he gained popularity as the kid who could play four keyboards at once.
Recommended Reading: The Legend Of Hindi Music: Kishore Kumar
For more updates, do Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+