A city of palaces and joy situated on the eastern bank of Hoogly river, Kolkata is a dreamy city by all means. A birthplace of modern Indian culture and literary movements, every corner of the city totally lives up to the expectation of the visitors inspiring them in a thousand splendid ways!
Here’re five best places to visit in Kolkata:
1. Victoria Memorial
- As the name suggests, it is dedicated to Queen Victoria and currently, it serves as a museum.
- A unique architectural blend of Mughal and British styles, it was constructed by Lord Curzon after the death of Queen Victoria.
- There are 25 galleries in the museum housing artifacts and antiques that are sure to make you awestruck.
2. Howrah Bridge
- The sixth longest bridge in the world, Howrah Bridge is one of the most visited destinations in Kolkata.
- Often called as Rabindra Setu, this bridge lights up in the night making the view totally incredible!
3. Park Street
- A food street perfect for the foodie in you, Park Street is open throughout the day and night serving totally sumptuous Bengali dishes.
- An entertainment and commercial hub of Kolkata city, Park street is all about food, frolic and fun!
4. Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary
- Located in the foothills of Eastern Himalayas, Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary is best known for the Indian Rhinos.
- If wildlife and nature excite you, there is no way you should miss visiting this truly incredible wildlife sanctuary boasting lush green gardens and serenity of nature.
- Apart from the Indian Rhino, you can also spot various other species including Royal Bengal Tiger, Indian Elephants, Sambar, Indian Bison and wild boar
5. Birla Temple
- A temple finished in long 26 years, Birla Temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna and his consort Radha.
- Commissioned by the Industrial Birla family, the Birla temple was constructed using white marble and boasts of intricate architectural work and is considered the finest artwork in the city.
Recommended Reading: Best five places to visit in Trivandrum