One of the most popular cities of Rajasthan, Bikaner was founded by Rao Bika (1465-1504 AD.) by the blessings of Goddess Karni Mata in the year 1488 AD. Featuring large monuments, forts, temples and relics Bikaner is a traveller’s paradise. Let’s have a closer look at the best five places to visit in Bikaner :
- Initially called Chitamani it was renamed Junagarh Fort in the 20th Century.
- Opens from 10:30-4:30 and has an entry fees of 50 rupees.
- Huge fort comprising of palaces, courtyards, pavilions and balconies.
- Has an unique design with all palaces in the complex built by a different ruler.
- The main attraction is the Anup Mahal having decorated walls and ceilings.
- Situated deep in the Thar desert its realness and splendour is second to none.
- It is a grand structure with classical Mughal and Rajput touches.
- British-inspired interiors, complete with billiard, smoking, and card rooms make it a unique blend of the east and west.
- 2 wings of the Palace have been converted into a luxury hotel with 59 rooms that provide all the modern comforts of today coupled with the royal traditions of past.
Laxmi Niwas Palace
- The palace design is based on Lutyens’ and Baker’s architectural style.
- The Palace has today been converted to a sprawling hotel and is one of the best places to stay at in Bikaner.
- Hand-painted friezes and gold-laden walls adorn the palaces interiors.
- Fire dances, traditional Indian ghazals, kalbelian performers, jugglers and acrobats light up your stay at the Palace.
Karni Mata Temple
- The Rat Temple of India houses thousands of mice.
- It is built in homage of Karni Mata, a reincarnation of Durga Mata.
- The grand fairs organised twice a year are a beautiful blend of religion, traditions and culture.
- The main shrine houses a huge image of the goddess with two huge silver doors a part of the shrine.
- Built wholly in marble, the temple is a sparkling building that is visited by lakhs of pilgrims every year.
Sand Dunes Safari
- The safari is diversified with many species of lizards, snakes, dears, Great Indian Bustard, Blackbuck and Indian Gazelle.
- One can experience forts, castles, cuisine, desert safaris and customs along the safari.
- Tourists can enjoy music and folk dances with the sunset serving as a magnificent backdrop.
- The Camel Safari takes tourists deep into the desert that is an experience of a lifetime.
Apart from the above best five places to visit in Bikaner, there are also some more places of tourist interest, which we shall cover in another article. So, stay tuned.
Recommended reading : Best five places to visit in Jaipur
*News as published in Business Standard, Live Mint and Economic Times.