Five Best Places to Visit in Guruvayur, the name of the place hides a mythological belief, the natives believe that in order to save Dwarka, Shree Krishna instructed Guru and Vayu to search for a sacred place to keep the figure of Lord Vishnu. This is how the place got its name. The cultural capital of Kerala, Guruvayur is one of the top tourism cities in Kerala. The beauty of this place is hard to describe, the rich natural picture and holy pilgrimages display cultural heritage of Kerala. Despite being a small town, the place lures travellers and spiritual seekers.
Here are the five best places to visit in Guruvayur:
1. Guruvayur Shree Krishna Temple
- Guruvayur Shree Krishna Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The main idol is of Lord Krishna with four arms carrying the conch, Sudarshan Chakra, a mace and lotus.
- Lord is worshipped strictly as per the rules laid by Adi Shankara.
- There’s a strict dress code for entering the temple for all devotees. Exact dress to be worn by men, boys, girls and women have been described in detail.
2. Punnathurkotta Elephant Palace
- Punnathurkotta Elephant Palace, located at a distance of 3 kilometres from Guruvayur temple, is one of the largest elephant sanctuaries in India.
- The elephants housed here are “offerings” made by the devotees of Lord Guruvayurappa.
- The Palace houses more than 60 elephants in lush greenery. The elephants are trained to participate in temple rituals and major processions.
3. Mammiyoor Shiva Temple
- Located in the vicinity of Guruvayurappam Temple, Mammiyoor Shiva Temple, devoted to Lord Shiva, is popular for its large murals.
- Natives have a belief that Lord Shiva was the original owner of the Guruvayurappam Temple and Lord Parvathy resides inside the sanctorum.
- Visit Guruvayur temple is considered incomplete without visiting the Mammiyoor temple.
4. Chettuva Backwater
- Chettuva Backwater is an inviting place because of its stunning beauty. Located near Guruvayur, this place is blessed with small islands, shimmering waters, mangrove vegetation, migratory birds, and much more.
- The government of Kerala has named this place as a heritage village in the year 2010. The experience of visiting Guruvayur is incomplete without a cruise on the Chettuva Backwater.
5. Blangad Beach
- Located at a distance of 2 km from Chavakkad, the beach lies in the middle of lush green coconut palms and vast blue sky.
- Blangad is a fishing belt and has a fishermen colony close by.
- The place becomes a bird watching spot during winter months as it witnesses a large number of migratory birds.
- The beach is also famous for spectacular sunrise and sunset views.
For booking and know more about Five Best Places to Visit in Guruvayur click on enquire now button.
Recommended Reading: Best places to visit in Ponmudi