Idukki happens to be one of those districts in Kerala which is extremely rich in scenic beauty yet is untouched by the commercial tourism. Hence, it remains pretty much less crowded in comparison with other towns of Kerala offering you complete solitude amidst the peaceful nature. Boasting off multiple dams and hydroelectric power plants, Idukki attracts travelers who crave for places that can offer untouched bliss of nature.
Here’re the best five places to visit in Idukki:
1. Idukki Arch Dam
- Situated at a height of about 550 feet, the Idukki Arch Dam is absolutely an architectural genius. This dam is built across the Kuravan and Kurathi hills and is over Periyar river.
- The natural scenic beauty around this dam is absolutely breathtaking.
- Second-largest arch dam in the world, this dam is too good to be missed!
2. Thommankuthu Falls
- Named after a person called Thomman, who fell in the river while crossing it. Thommankuthu Falls is also called seven-step waterfall because it has seven water cascades to form a pool.
- Adventure junkies will have the best time at this spot as it offers activities like rock climbing and trekking.
3. Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary
- Spread over an area of 77 sq km, Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary is a go-to place for wildlife lovers.
- This wildlife Sanctuary also has a reservoir formed by three dams namely, Cheruthoni, Idukki and Kulamanu.
- Common animals found here are Bonnet macaque, Nilgiri Langur, Elephant, Sambar, Barking Deer, Mouse deer, Wild boar, jackal, Indian Giant Squirrel etc.
4. Hill View Park
- Offering the most spectacular view of Cheruthoni and Idukki Dams, Hill view park is the most visited destination of Idukki owing to its absolutely serene and tranquil aura.
- The place is all about beauty and tranquility, hence it is one place that heals the soul!
5. Kalvari Mount
- A mountaintop offering a splendid view of villages down below, Kalvari Mount is located on the way to Kattappana.
- The view from this spot is breath-taking in every possible and if you’re really lucky, you can also spot elephants grazing in the fields.
Recommended Reading: Best Five Places to Visit in Thekkady