Widely known as Calicut, Kozhikode is the largest city in northern Kerala is a bustling trade centre. It is at this place that Vasco Da Gama first landed and was welcomed by the then king of Zamorin Dynasty. With tranquil beaches, historical forts and plush green ambience thereby giving a distinct touch of nature to your journey, Kozhikode is one city that is too good to be missed.
Here’re the best five places to visit in Kozhikode:
1. Kozhikode Beach
- Away from the chaos of modernity, Kozhikode Beach is an alluring beach fit for rejuvenating and relaxing yourself amidst nature.
- Offering the best sunrise and sunset views, the beach is an ideal place for couples seeking romantic destinations.
2. Mananchira Square
- A man-made freshwater pond surrounded by an astounding complex, Mananchira Square houses open theater, fabulous landscaped lawns and musical fountains.
- This place is a treasured location because of its age-old architectural design which is reminiscent of those times and is a peaceful place amidst the hustle of city life.
3. Tali Temple
- One of the oldest and well-known temples of Calicut, Tali Temple is devoted to Lord Shiva.
- Housing the holy Shivalinga of 2 ft, the architecture of this temple is typical Kerala-style. Around the Malayalam new year, the temple hosts a week-long festival. Hence, if you’re visiting Calicut around that time of the year, make sure you visit this temple!
- Boating lovers are surely going to love this place because it offers a perfect spot for boating or cruising.
- Located just 2 km off Calicut, you can get to enjoy cruising, row boating and pedal boating at Kalipoyika.
5. Kadalundi Bird Sanctuary
- Located amidst hillocks and islands, Kadalundi Bird Sanctuary is the best place for wildlife lovers and photography enthusiasts.
- The beauty of this place is absolutely breathtaking. A home to around 100 local bird species and 60 migratory bird species, it is an eye-delight to watch the beautiful birds flutter their wings in the clear sky!
Recommended Reading: Best five places to visit in Idukki