Five Best Places to Visit in Palakkad – The city is situated about 350 kilometres north of Thiruvananthapuram and 54 kilometres south-west of Coimbatore. Palakkad is the gateway to Kerala due to the presence of Palakkad Gap. The district is one of the main granaries of Kerala and its economy is primarily agricultural. Fondly, the district is also called the land of Palmyra’s.
The five best places to visit in Palakkad are:
1. Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary
- The sanctuary is home to four different indigenous tribes- Malasar, Muduvar, Kadar and Mala Malasar. Jungle treks and safari here are very popular and a must experience.
- Being the most protected ecological terrain of the Western Ghats, the place is full of peninsular vegetation and wildlife.
- For a unique experience, you can also stay in the camps in a jungle.
2. Palakkad Fort
- Popularly known as Tipu’s Fort, the gigantic Palakkad Fort is located in the heart of the city.
- Built by Haider Ali in 1766 AD, it houses Hanuman (Anjaneya) Temple, with its unique interiors.
- Rising above a tiny hill, historians say that the colossal architecture was built as a purpose of improving communication between Palakkad and Coimbatore.
3. Silent Valley National Park
- Listed in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Silent Valley National Park is spread over an area of 90 sq. km., the park houses largest population of Lion-tailed Macaque. It also has a huge number of special of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fishes.
- There are almost 107 species of orchids, 200 liverworts, 100 ferns, 75 lichens and about 200 algae.
4. Kalpathy Heritage Village & Temple Complex
- Situated 3 km away from the Palakkad town, on the border of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, it is commonly known as Dakshin Kasi or the “Varanasi of the South”.
- The temple has an architectural wonder dating back to 1425, known as ViswanathaSwamy temple.
- There are many sub-temples like Vinayagar, Subramaniar, KalaBhairava.
5. Malampuzha Dam & Gardens
- Extending into a charming lake, it is the largest reservoir in Kerala. Standing 355 feet tall, the dam is built on Malampuzha River, a tributary of Bharathapuzha, river.
- The front side of the dam beholds another tourist attraction called -MalampuzhaGarden.
- Other attractions of the place are Nandi Park, Japanese Park, Krishna Park, MalampuzhaYakshiand music fountains.
For booking and know more about five best places to visit in Palakkad click on enquire now button.
Recommended Reading: Best five places to visit in Varkala