A small coastal town south of Thiruvananthapuram, Kovalam is an interesting town in Kerala. The city is known for endless rows of coconut trees and is often known as “Paradise of the South”. Here are the five best places to visit in kovalam.
1. Lighthouse Beach
- It offers a large number of leisure activities including sunbathing, sea swimming, catamaran cruising, herbal body toning massages etc.
- Another distinctive feature of Kovalam Beach is the 45-year-old working lighthouse. Well-lit from inside, it offers comfortable space to climb up to the top to witness serene view from the top of the tower.
2. Hawah Beach
- The nights at this beach which is also known as Eve’s beach are beautiful and serene.
- Once you’re here, devour in scrumptious seafood found over the shacks near the beaches, bask in the sun if you’re visiting during afternoon hours, take a long boat ride and even more go surfing.
3. Halcyon Castle
- Also known as Kovalam Palace, Halcyon Castle was built in 1932, by M.R. Sri Rama Varma Valiya Koil Thampuran.
- The lush green lawns of the castle are worth a visit. Since they’ve now converted this beautiful castle into a resort, chose to do a layover in the castle to explore the Keralite tradition with a colonial blend. One of the best places to visit in kovalam.
4. Karamana River
- The Karamana River area in Kovalam hosts a whole lot of water activities for adventure junkies.
- The Thiruvallam boat club on the banks of the river offers a number of options from boat cruises down the river to canoeing and kayaking on the river.
- Since the surroundings of the river are really beautiful and picturesque, don’t forget to take your camera and binoculars while you visit this!
5. Vellayani Lake
- The crystal clear blue water of this lake which is also very fresh is undoubtedly a sight to behold! When the moonlight falls on the water, it makes it even more picturesque and the aura turns ethereal.
- The lake witnesses various boat races during Onam. So you’re in Kovalam around Onam, make sure you catch the action first hand!
So these were the best places to visit in kovalam.
Recommended reading : Best five places to visit in Kumarakom