Wayanad district is located in the north-east region of Kerala at an elevation of 2100m atop the Western Ghats. The only district bordering Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Wayanad is immensely famous for its age-old forest covers. Here’re the best five places to visit in Wayanad :
1. Kuruwa Island
- Spread over 950 acres of land, its a protected river delta, comprising a cluster of islands of Kabini River.
- The place is home to many rare species of flora and fauna.
- A perfect spot for enjoying boat ride or river rafting, nature-walk or island-trekking.
- Island remains open only from October to May from 9AM to 5PM.
2. Chembra Peak
- Eight kilometer south of Kalpetta, near Meppady, lays the highest peak in Wayanad, 2,100 m highChembra Peak.
- An ideal place for enjoying trekking, it will take around 3 hours to reach to the top of Chembra Peak. Enjoy scenic beauty enrouteand view of heart-shaped lakeHridhayathadakam from the top.
- Although its open for all seasons, avoid visiting during monsoon as rocks get slippery. Trekking charges for a group of 10 members is Rs.500 for domestic and Rs.1000 for international tourists.
3. Edakkal Cave
- Located 25 kms off Kalpetta, Edakkal caves has many interesting folklores associated with it.
- While some believe that these caves are formed from the arrows shot by Luv and Kush, sons of Lord Ram, other one is associated with KuttiChathan and the Goddess Mudiampilly.
- Famous for pictorial paintings dating back to 6000 BC, Edakkal caves is the only place in India with stone age cravings.
- Visiting timings are from morning 9:30 to evening 4:30.
4. Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary
- A rainforest connectingNagarhole and Bandipur parks in Karnataka and Mudumalai in Tamil Nadu, Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is spread over an area of 345 sq km.
- Extremely rich with flora and fauna, you can spot wildlife species such as elephant, tiger, panthers, jungle cats, civet cats, monkeys, wild dogs.
- Enjoy Elephant camp visit, jeep safari, trekking, bird watching or tribal folklore.
5. Soochippara Waterfalls
- Cascading waterfalls running down from a height of 100 meters to 300 meters, Soochippara Waterfalls is one of the most refreshing and soulful destinations of Wayanad.
- Pool beneath the waterfalls is used for water activities like boating and river rafting.
Recommended Reading: Top five things to do in Kerala