Best spice plantations in Thekkady Kerala should be in your list of to visit places when you visit Kerala next. Welcome to Thekkady! The real spice king of Kerala, Thekkady is renowned for its spices which are exported worldwide. Filled with dense evergreen forests and savanna grasslands, Thekkady also houses the country’s largest Tiger Reserve- Periyar.
Let’s take a look at the five Best spice plantations in Thekkady Kerala which attracts tourists from all over the world.
Green Park Ayurvedic & Spices Plantation
- 100% eco-friendly with farm, honey bee colony, natural fish aquarium, cardamom processing plant and multiple spice gardens.
- Revolving around the theme of Sustainable Farming, the spice farm is spread over a huge area and is home to a variety of spices, vegetables, fruits, and other plants. Turmeric, cardamom, cloves are some of the spices that are cultivated here.
- Guides are available to give you an informative tour around the plantation. Entry fee to the farm is 100 rupees. The plantation also has a spice store to purchase spices freshly grown on the land.
Also Read: Five best Kerala dishes you must try
- Located in Kumily, spread over an area of around 200 acres, Spice walk is a coffee plantation.
- Spice Walk plantation consists of coffee, pepper, cardamom, and other spices.
- The farm also offers boating, a small trek, and fishing. There is also a shop that sells farm fresh spices.
- The coffee drying process is one of the unique things to see there.
- You can choose to go for tour packages which not only guide you through the forest but also include many activities like stay in the camp in the deep forest, treehouse, etc.
Do read: Five best Kerala dishes you must try
More best spice plantations in Thekkady Kerala
- Featuring local materials and native artisans, Spice Village offers you all the comforts of a city minus the noise and pollution.
- Has self-sustaining systems like the fish pond, use of neem and lemongrass as biopesticides in insect control.
- 75% of the energy needs are met from the solar plants installed at the property. Organic waste is converted into paper through a dedicated process at the handmade paper unit on the farm.
- Entering the magical world of spices, one can not only take a walk through the spice gardens but also get introduced to all the spices in the evening cooking classes held by some of the top chefs in Kerala.
Must Read: Five best places to visit in Palakkad
- One is greeted with the intoxicating smell of spices on entry. It is a lush green ayurvedic spice plantation which is the perfect location to take enjoy the natural beauty and relax.
- Plantation eco-tours are organized by the management. Accompanied by an English-speaking guide you will be taken on the tour of the cardamom, pepper, rubber, vanilla, coffee and tea plantations.
- Spices, spice powder and herbal oil are a must-buy at the spice store owing to their fine quality and competitive prices.
The Spice Route
- The Spice Route is an Ayurvedic and Spices Garden.
- The place not only has amazing spices but many exotic birds can also be spotted here.
- The plantation is divided into sections with each section covered with specific plants like vanilla, ginger, cardamom, clove, nutmeg, and others.
- Lunch packages are available which offer a tasting of the fresh spices.
- The best time to visit is between March and September when the spices are ready to be harvested and visitors can engage in that process.
For booking and know more about best spice plantations in Thekkady Kerala, click on book now button.
Recommended Reading: Five Best Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks in India