Five Best Weekend Getaways From Mumbai – Though Mumbai is all vibrant and dynamic, there are times when even Mumbaikars feel the urge to move out of the hustle bustle of busy city life to relax at a serene and calm place.
Here are five best weekend getaways from Mumbai that you can explore during the long weekends.
1. Karnala Bird Sanctuary
- 60 km from Mumbai, Karnala Bird Sanctuary, located on Mumbai-Goa highway is an ideal picnic spot for wildlife lovers.
- Spread across 4.8 sq km, it houses as many as 150 resident bird species and 37 avian migrants.
- You can indulge in various activities like trekking, walking amidst the rose garden and bird watching. While you are there, do not forget to visit the botanical garden.
- Open from sunrise to sunset, there is a minimal charge of INR 30 for adults and INR 15 for children below 13 years of age.
Must Read: Some of the best beaches to visit in Goa
- A Konkan town, Karjat is roughly 60 km away from Mumbai and is famous for its scenic beauty, forts, ancient rock-cut temples and mountains.
- Indulge in activities like trekking, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, waterfall climbing, boating and rappelling. The trekking trails in Karjat vary from moderately difficult to extremely treacherous.
- The other destinations that are worth-visiting in Karjat are Bhor Ghat or Bor Ghat, Ulhas Valley, Peth Fort and Kondana Caves.
- 83 km from Mumbai, Matheran is located at an elevation of 2516 feet above the sea level. It is famous for unadulterated ambience, lush pastures and tranquil environment.
- You can indulge in activities like trekking, walking, horse riding, valley crossing and sightseeing. Do not forget to take a ride on Neral-Matheran toy train.
- Other worth-visiting destinations in Matheran include Panorama Point, Malang point, Luisa Point, Echo point, Heart/Hart Point, One Tree Hill, Lords Point and Charlotte Lake Point among others.
- The twin hill resorts, Lonavala and Khandala are located at about 90 km from Mumbai and are a perfect weekend getaway if you’re a trekking, camping or shopping freak.
- Some of the worth-visiting destinations around this place include Korigad Fort, Tiger’s Leap, Duke’s Nose, Lohagad, Karla and Bhaja Caves, Pawna Lake, Bedsa Caves among others.
Must Read: Tropical Forests in India
- Located 95 km away from Mumbai, Alibaug or Alibag is a very famous beach destination that can be reached via ferry or road.
- Being a beach weekend getaway, it is an ideal destination for beach babies who are extremely fond of water sports because Alibaug offers all sorts of water activities.
- The other worth-visiting destinations in Alibaug include Varsoli Beach, Alibaug Fort, Kankeshwar Temple, Kolaba Fort, Nagaon Beach, Kihim Beach and Hirakot Fort among others.
For bookings and to know more about five best weekend getaways from Mumbai click on enquire now button.
Recommended Reading: Best five places to visit in Kangra