An Indian physician turned leadership consultant, mythologist, author, and communicator, Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik is the proud author of 600 articles and 30 books on the relevance of sacred stories, symbols and rituals in modern times, including Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology, Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata, Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana, Business Sutra: An Indian Approach to Management, Shikhandi: And Other Tales they Don’t Tell You amongst others.
- Born on 11 December 1970, Devdutt Pattanaik is born and brought up in Mumbai. Graduate in medicine (M.B.B.S.) from Grant Medical College, Mumbai, Pattanaik had also done a course in Comparative Mythology from Mumbai University.
- While working in pharma and healthcare industry for 14 years, he spent his spare time in writing his books on mythology, which later on became his full-time passion.
- It was in the year 1997 when his first book Shiva: An Introduction was published.
- Further, Devdutt Pattanaik was a speaker at the first-ever TEDx conference that was held in India in the year 2009.
- Previously, he has also done two TV shows on CNBC-TV18 and CNBC Awaaz, going by the name Business Sutra and “Shastrarth” respectively. In these shows, he drew out some business lessons from the Hindu epics Ramayana and Mahabharata and explained them to the audience in a very lucid way. His shows were presented in both Hindi and English language.
- A former Chief Belief Officer of Future Group, one of India’s largest retailers, currently he writes columns for Mid-Day, Times of India, Swarajya, Daily O and Scroll.in.
- You can also watch him every Tuesday at 8 PM on Epic Channel where he presents Devlok with Devdutt Pattanaik, a show which foretells the mythical stories about characters and incidents in a very understandable way.