The Godrej Group was founded in 1897 by Ardeshir Godrej and Pirojsha Burjorji Godrej, and operates in real estate, consumer products, industrial engineering, appliances, furniture, security and agricultural products. Combined companies include Godrej Industries and its subsidiaries Godrej Consumer Products, Godrej Agrovet, and Godrej Properties.
The Godrej group is divided into two major companies-
- Godrej Industries
- Godrej & Boyce
The Godrej Family Tree:
- Ardeshir Godrej (Founder)
- Pirojsha Godrej (Co-founder)
- Naoroji Godrej
1 – Jamshyd N Godrej (Chairman of Godrej and Boyce)
- Navroz Godrej (Director)
- Raika Godrej
- Dr. Burjor Ji Godrej
1 – Adi Godrej (Chairman of Godrej Group)
- Tanya Godrej (Executive Director)
- Nisa Godrej (GCPL Chairperson)
- Pirojsha Godrej (Executive Director Godrej Property)
2 – Nadir Godrej (Chairman of Godrej Agrows)
- Dosabai Godrej
1 – Rishad Godrej (Director of Godrej Group)
- Sohrab Godrej— [NO CHILDREN]
Brand journey of Godrej from 1897 till now-
- 1897- Ardeshir Godrej, co-founder of the Godrej Brothers Company, set up a lock with lever company and established the company along with Pirojsha Burjorji Godrej.
- 1920- The company launched the world’s first vegetable oil soap Chavi, the first to be made without animal fat and which targeted a major Indian vegetarian families.
- 1923- After locks and soap, the company entered into furniture with almirahs.
- 1943- The then Government of Bombay auctioned Vikhroli village to Pirojsha Godrej. And over the next 50 years, Vikhroli village was transformed into a green, industrial town that cared for its people.
- 1951- The company was asked to make 1.7 million ballot boxes for India’s first steps as a democratic nation.
- 1952- They launched ‘Cinthol’ on Independence Day.
- 1955- Godrej introduced India’s first ever indigenous typewriter.
Must read: The journey of Oberoi Group of Hotels
- 1958- Godrej was the first Indian company to launch refrigerators.
- 1974- Their first hair color product, a liquid hair dye was launched.
- 1990- Godrej Properties brings the Group’s philosophy of innovation to the real estate industry in India.
Do read: Indian Brands Foreign labels
- 1991- Godrej was incorporated into Agricultural business.
- 1994- The company acquired Translektra, which made mosquito mats under ‘Good Knight’ brand.
- 1997- Godrej completed a century of their business being and celebrated its 100th birthday.
- 2008- India sends Chandrayaan-1, its first unmanned mission to the moon. The brand’s engineering expertise that helps build the launch vehicle and lunar orbiter for the mission.
- 2010- The ambitious goals of the company for 2020 include being one of the most trusted and innovative Indian brands, fostering an inspiring place to work and becoming 10 times their size in 10 years.
Do read: India’s Top Five Business Women
- 2014- The company partnered with the Indian Space Research Organization on India’s first mission to Mars. Godrej Aerospace engines power the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle and the company’s precision components calculate the satellite’s trajectory to the millisecond.
- 2015- Godrej Properties and Pelli Clarke Pellin architects created Godrej One, the new global headquarters at Vikhroli in Mumbai.
- 2017- Godrej Agrovet Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange.