Do you know about these fascinating events and festivals in December in India?
The month of December opens opportunities to celebrate and enjoy many festivals and holidays. It is a gala time all over the country with national holidays like Christmas and then the New Year. From whichever country you belong, whatever is your religious or ethnic background, all of us like to celebrate the New Year. When we used to be kids, we used to wonder that New Year brings everything new, which is definitely true up to a certain extent. Let’s find out about the various events and festivals in December in India and look forward towards an eventful December holiday.
Must Read: Major Festivals of Uttarakhand
- Rann Utsav: This festival is a long event that takes place in the Rann of Kutch, in the district of Kutch, Rajasthan from November to February. The festival is a time to showcase the regional traditions and other folk art. Various dance performances and local artists singing folk songs in their traditional musical instruments is a sight to see. You will also witness camels and other animals that are decorated and brought to make them participate in various games organized for animals. The white sand of Kutch and the colorful festivities and decorations, form an exotic contrast.
- Hornbill festival, Kohima: Eastern India is still unexplored by many. If you are one of those that hopes to visit and explore the far east, then this festival might provide you with a reason to visit and explore the splendid and serene Northeast. The Hornbill festival is celebrated in Kohima, Nagaland. It got its name from the Hornbill bird. The festival celebrations include the folk dance of the indigenous Warrior tribe, local food stalls and other local handicrafts stalls. It takes place from 1-10 December every year.
- Magnetic fields festival: It is a three-day event and one of the coolest music festivals of India that takes place in Rajasthan. The festival is the result of the initiatives taken by of one of the Royal descendants of the Alsisar, Abhimanyu Singh, also known as Raja of Khetri. With pleasant weather during the month of December in Rajasthan you can plan to visit the majestic forts in the daytime and be a part of the celebration in the evening. It brings together music enthusiasts from all over the world to come and participate in the festival. The seats are limited to 500 only, so make sure you plan that well in advance.
- Konark Festival, Odisha: This festival portrays various classical dance performances like Bharatanatyam, Kathak, Manipuri, Chau and Odissi dance performances. There are also many exhibitions and other fun activities like games and fairs. It is an initiative taken by Odisha tourism to celebrate and organize the festival. It takes place from 1-5 December every year.
- Galdan Namchot, Leh Ladakh: A cultural extravaganza that depicts the culture and traditional values of the people of Ladakh. The festival celebrates the birthday of the Tibetan saint-scholar, Tsongkhapa. It is also the time when the Ladakhis mark the arrival of the New Year.
For more details on events and festivals in December in India and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.