Have been planning to explore India’s best temples, these top five famous temples in Tamil Nadu can make easy your search.
Tamil Nadu is famous for its popular temples. It is also known as the Land of Temples. Nearly 33,000 ancient temples, many at least 800 to 5000 years old temples are found on the divine land of Tamil Nadu.
The list of the top five famous temples in Tamil Nadu goes like this:
Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai
- ‘Meenakshi Amman Temple’ is one of the most ancient temples not only in Tamil Nadu but also in India.
- Goddess Meenakshi is an avatar of the Hindu goddess Parvati – wife of Shiva.
- It is located in the main city Madurai which is about a kilometre south of the Vaigai River. It is about 460 kilometres from Chennai, the state capital.
- It receives more than 15,000 visitors a day and more than 60 million rupees in donations.
- The temple has more than 33,000 sculptures and was considered as one of the seven wonders of India.
Must Read: Famous festivals of Tamil Nadu
Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangam
- Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple or Thiruvarangam is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu which located in Srirangam, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu.
- This temple is the largest temple in India and one of the largest religious complexes in the world.
- Some of these structures have been renovated, reconstructed, and rebuilt over the centuries as a living temple.
Jambukeswarar Temple, Thiruvanaikaval
- This temple is also known as Thiruvanaika and is a famous Shiva temple in Tiruchirapalli, in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
- The temple was built around 1,800 years ago by Kochchenganan. It is located in Srirangam Island which is famous for Ranganathaswamy temple.
- Thiruvanaikaval is one of the five famous Shiva Temples of Tamil Nadu.
Must Read: Places to shop in Tamil Nadu
Kanchi Kailasanathar Temple, Kanchipuram
- The Kanchi Kailasanathar temple is the oldest in Kanchipuram.
- This temple worships Hindu Gods like Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, the Sun God, Lord Ganesha, Lord Kartikeya and other deities.
- Maha Shivaratri is the biggest festival celebrated in the temple. Thousands of devotees visit the temple in the evening hours to offer prayers to the main deity.
Ekambareswarar Temple, Kanchipuram
- The temple complex covers 25 acres and is one of the largest temples in India. It has four gateway towers known as gopurams.
- Southern tower is the tallest, with 11 stories and a height of 55 meters, making it one of the tallest temple towers in India.
- The temple is decorated with an array of Shivalingam from inside which is one of the Sahasra Lingams with 1008 Siva lingams sculpted on it.
Recommended Reading: Five famous food items of Tamil Nadu