Facts about comedian Kapil Sharma – Kapil Sharma is an Indian comedian, television presenter, actor and producer born on 2 April 1981 in Amritsar. Before he became a celebrity, he had worked as a PCO and also as a newspaper vendor. Kapil Sharma came to Mumbai with a dream to become a singer but ended up becoming a comedian.
Must Read: Best Child Actors of Indian Television
Here are some lesser known facts about comedian Kapil Sharma:
- Kapil’s father was a head constable in Punjab police and his brother is also in police force. His father was diagnosed with cancer and died in 2004 at AIIMS in Delhi.
- He was first rejected for ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’ audition in Amritsar, but then he got selected as a wild card entry and ended up winning the show.
- Kapil Sharma participated in 8 seasons of Comedy Circus show and won 6 seasons.
- He also hosted a dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 6 and a comedy show Chhote Miyan.
- In 2013, CNN IBN gave him Indian of The Year award leaving Deepika Padukone and SRK behind in the category of entertainment.
- Kapil launched his own show in 2013, Comedy Nights with Kapil, on Colors TV Channel which was a great success. Its last episode was aired on 24th January 2016.
- He made his Bollywood debut as the male lead in the movie Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon in 2015 and did record-breaking opening day business for a debutant.
- Kapil Sharma got a comedy show in his own name, The Kapil Sharma show, on Sony TV which had its premiere on 23 April 2016.
- After getting fame, Kapil Sharma got stuck into many controversies. During the Kapil Sharma show, he had a fight with Sunil Grover onboard a flight and was reported to have hurled a shoe at him. This fight took an ugly turn and became a huge controversy after which Grover, Ali Asgar, Sugandha Mishra and Chandan Prabhakar quit the show. The show was ultimately taken off-air.
- An NGO also filed a complaint against Kapil with the Maharashtra State Commission for Women when he commented that travelling on a pothole road can help a poor pregnant woman pop out the baby.
- Kapil’s second movie Firangi was released on 1 December 2017 which was directed by Rajiev Dhingra.
- His other show, Family Time with Kapil Sharma, ran only for just about 3 episodes and was taken off-air by the channel due to poor TRP.
- In 2018, Sharma produced a Punjabi movie, “Son of Manjeet Singh” which released on 12 October 2018, but it was not a huge success.
- Kapil Sharma married his long-time girlfriend, Ginni Chatrath in Jalandhar on 12 December 2018.
- He was lucky enough to get his show, The Kapil Sharma Show, back on-air after Salman Khan decided to product it. As of now, the show is a success and getting good TRPs.