Famous Dargahs in India – Do you know, Islam is the second-largest religion in India, with about 14.2% of the country’s population? India is a diverse country that holds some of the finest mosques and holiest Dargahs. In this article, get to know about some of the famous Dargahs in India where people of all religions visit to seek blessings.
Famous Dargahs in India – Ancient Dargahs in India
Ajmer Sharif Dargah, Ajmer
- Ajmer Sharif is one of the most popular dargahs of India built by the Mughal Emperor Humayun located at Ajmer, Rajasthan, India.
- While you enter the dargah, the Dargah has a series of huge doors with beautiful carvings. All these doors are made of pure silver, and once you reach the courtyard, you will get to see the tomb of the pious saint, Moinuddin Chishti. You will also see a huge ‘degh’ which is used to cook food on behalf of devotees.
- It is believed that a person who prays with a pure heart at the Ajmer Sharif Dargah, all of his wishes come true.
- The shrine is located 2 km away from the main Ajmer Railway Station which attracts thousands of pilgrims from various places across the country.
- Devotional singers dedicate qawwalis praising Allah after the namaz is offered.
- Address: 111, Dargah Sharif, Khadim Mohalla, Diggi Bazaar, Ajmer, Rajasthan.
Haji Ali, Mumbai
- The Haji Ali Dargah is a mosque and dargah of Pir Haji Ali Shah Bukhari which is located in Mumbai.
- The dargah was built in the 19th century. It is believed that when Saint Haji Ali went on a pilgrimage to Mecca, he died on the way, but miraculously, his casket floated across the sea and stopped on the shores of Mumbai.
- Thousands of pilgrims/devotees of all religions from all over the world visit this dargah especially on Thursdays and Fridays.
- The Dargah holds separate praying rooms for males and females. Men enter this holy place through the Southern entrance, and women enter from the west side.
- Address: Dargah Rd, Haji Ali, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya, New Delhi
- Hazrat Nizamuddin is a famous dargah which is dedicated to one of the world’s most famous Sufi saints, Nizamuddin Auliya.
- As you enter the dargah complex, you will find the tombs of poet Mughal princess Jahan Ara Begum, Amir Khusro, and Inayat Khan.
- Nizamuddin Auliya taught people to love and create a harmony that can help them get close to God.
- Women are not allowed to go beyond the outer verandah, but they are allowed to peek through jali (lattice screen) to see the grave of the saint which is draped with a chadar and rose petals.
- Devotees from all over the world visit this place throughout the year; especially on Thursday because of the evening qawwali session.
- Address: Boali Gate Rd, Nizamuddin, Nizamuddin West Slum, Nizamuddin West, New Delhi.
Famous Dargahs in India- Ancient Dargahs in India –
Sheikh Salim Chishti, Fatehpur Sikri
- Sheikh Salim Chishti is the dargah of Sheikh Salim Chishti, Qutubuddin Koka, and Islam Khan V.
- The tomb was built between 1571 and 1580 by Emperor Akbar in the honour of Sufi Saint Salim Chishti.
- Saint Salim Chishti was a follower of Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti, whose dargah is located in Ajmer, known as Ajmer Sharif.
- Sheikh Salim Chishti Dargah is a white marble structure that is placed in the middle of a huge sandstone. Here you will observe amazing serpentine brackets that are made to support the broad chajja on four sides.
- It is believed that women who do not have children, come here to wish for a child by tying a thread on the windows. When their wish is fulfilled, they come back to express their gratitude to the saint for granting their wish.
- Address: Dadupura, Fatehpur Sikri, Uttar Pradesh
Piran Kaliyar Sharif, Roorkee
- Piran Kaliyar is the dargah of the Sufi saint Alauddin Ali Ahmed Sabir Kalyari also known as Sarkar Sabir Pak.
- Kaliyar Sharif is one of the most famous shrines for Muslims in India.
- The dargah was built by an Afghan ruler of Delhi, Ibrahim Lodhi.
- The Dargah is situated at Kaliyar village, 10 km from Roorkee, and 20 km from Haridwar, India.
- Address: Dargah Hazrat Sabir e Pak Piran Kaliyar Shareef, Uttarakhand
Khwaja Bande Nawaz, Gulbarga
- Khwaja Bande Nawaz Dargah is a famous dargah and also a famous tourist spot that attracts millions of visitors from across the world.
- Khwaja Bande Nawaz is the Dargah of famous Sufi saint, Syed Muhammad bin Yousuf Al Hussaini, also known as Hazrat Khwaja Banda Nawaz Gesu Daraz.
- Syed Muhammad bin Yousuf Al Hussaini’s teaching was all about understanding, truth, tolerance, and harmony among different religious groups.
- Address: Rauza E Buzurg, Dargah Road, Khaja Colony, Gulbarga, Karnataka.
- Hazratbal is a famous dargah located in Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir, India.
- The dargah is considered to be the holiest Muslim shrine of Kashmir.
- The shrine holds a relic, the Moi-e-Muqqadas (Muhammad’s hair).
- The name of this dargah comes from the Farsi word Hazrat, which means “respected”, and the Kashmiri word bal, which means “place”.
- Address: Rainawari, Srinagar, India.