Famous gurdwaras outside India – Gurudwara means the gate to reach the Guru. There are thousands of Gurdwaras across India and in various parts of the world. Out of them, Panj Takht are 5 important Gurudwaras that hold a special significance for the devotees. They are Akal Takht Sahib, Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib, Takht Sri Damdama Sahib, Takht Sri Patna Sahib and Takht Sri Hazur Sahib. However, in this article, we would be covering some of the most famous gurdwaras outside India.
Some famous gurdwaras outside India
Guru Nanak Darbar, Dubai
- Gurdwara Nanak Darbar is a very famous gurudwara situated in Jabel Ali, around 25 kms away from Dubai. It is also the biggest Gurdwara in the Gulf Region.
- The gates of Gurdwara were opened on 17 January 2012. It is built with Italian marble and holds a five-star kitchen in it.
- It is the first ISO certified gurudwara in the world and is run by the local Sikh community.
- The Gurdwara entered the Guinness World Records in April 2017 for serving ‘Breakfast for Diversity’ to 600 persons from 101 countries in one hour.
Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, Kartarpur – Famous gurdwaras outside India
- Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, also called Kartarpur Sahib, is a gurdwara in Kartarpur, Pakistan. It is believed that Guru Nanak Dev Ji took his last breath here on 22 September 1539.
- The gurdwara is significant because of its location as it lies near the border between Pakistan and India.
- The shrine is visible even from the Indian side of the border. Devotees from India gather in large numbers to view the site from the Indian side of the border. Hopefully, with the Kartarpur corridor opening up, they would also be able to visit the Gurudwara.
Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha, London – Famous gurdwaras outside India
- Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha is located at Park Avenue and Havelock Road, Southall.
- Construction of the Gurdwara started in March 2000 and the gates of the Gurdwara were opened for devotees on 30 March 2003.
- The cost of construction of Gurdwara was £17.5 million which came from donations by the local Sikh community.
- The place has a beautiful structure built of granite as well as marble with dome covered with gold. The current President of Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha is S. Himmat Singh Sohi.
Must read: 10 Unknown Facts about the Golden Temple
Ontario Khalsa Darbar, Ontario
- The Ontario Khalsa Darbar is a Sikh Gurudwara located in Mississauga, Ontario. It is one of the largest Sikh-Gurdwaras in Canada and attracts thousands of devotees.
- Commonly known as ‘Dixie Gurdwara’, it was started in 1978 but later on, a building was constructed in 1988.
- Langar is served in the Gurdwara 24 hours a day.
- In 2004, a parking lot was constructed for $3 million. This parking lot is filled with many historical paintings and information boards.
Do read: Best places to visit in Amritsar
Gurdwara Janam Asthan, Pakistan – Famous gurdwaras outside India
- Gurdwara Janam Asthan, also known as Gurdwara Nankana Sahib, is a highly revered gurdwara that is located in the city of Nankana Sahib, near the city of Lahore in the Punjab province of Pakistan.
- It is believed that the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak, was born here, hence the name Gurdwara Janam Asthan (place of birth).
- The shrine is believed to have been visited by Guru Arjan Dev Ji and hence is said to be established towards the end of the 16th century.