Famous Shiva temples in Himachal Pradesh – There are many famous temples in Himachal such as Naina Devi Temple, Jwala Ji Temple, Chintpurni Devi Temple, and Baijnath Shiva Temple. Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh is home to Shakti Peeths and Devi temples. Not only Devi temples, but Himachal also has some ancient Shiva temples. Here are some of the famous Shiva temples in Himachal Pradesh.
Famous Shiva temples in Himachal Pradesh
- Bil Kaleshwar is a famous Shiva temple that is 400 years old. The temple is situated on Sujanpur road, Himachal Pradesh on the banks of river Beas.
- It is believed that the construction of this temple was initiated by the Pandavas of Mahabharta, but they were not able to complete the temple. Afterward, a king from the Katoch dynasty completed the temple.
- For devotees in Himachal, this place is similar to Haridwar. People of Himachal immerse the mortal remains of the family members in the river close to the temple.
Baba Bhootnath Temple -Famous Shiva temples in Himachal Pradesh
- Baba Bhootnath temple is one of the most famous temples in Mandi which is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- On the occasion of Mahashivratri, a huge fair is organized at the temple.
- Thousands of devotees and travelers visit this place. The temple is believed to have been built in 1527 by Raja Ajber Sen.
- According to legends, some people witnessed a cow standing at a particular place every day where milk will start flowing from her udders. The news spread and reached King Ajber. It is also said that Lord Shiva appeared in his dreams and told him to dig out Shivalinga from the place where the cow stands. The king built a temple at that place and named it Baba Bhootnath temple.
- Narvedeshwar Temple is a beautiful temple situated in the district of Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh.
- The temple was built in 1802 by Rani Prasanna Devi, the wife of King Sansar Chand.
- It is dedicated to Lord Shiva and here you will observe beautiful architects and paintings.
- The complex also has small temples that are dedicated to Goddess Durga, Lord Ganesha, and Lord Lakshminarayna.
Panchvaktra Temple – Famous Shiva temples in Himachal Pradesh
- Panchvaktra is a popular temple in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh that is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- The place is famous for the five-faced image of Lord Shiva which depicts different forms of Lord Shiva – Aghora, Ishana, Tat Purusha, Vaamdeva and Rudra.
- The architecture is recognized by the Archeological Survey of India as a national heritage monument.
- The temple of Triloknath is located in the Purani Mandi, Himachal Pradesh.
- It is one of the oldest shrines in Mandi which was built in 1520 AD by Sultan Devi, queen of Raja Ajber Sen.
- It is a famous temple where Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati are worshipped.
- Inside the temple, there is a stone image of three faced Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, who is in the sitting position on the Nandi Bull.
Must read: Five Best Places to Visit in Mandi