Famous yoga institutions in India – Yoga has always been a part of Indian culture with a number of historical institutes practicing and teaching it. These yoga schools offer a combination of in-depth courses and drop-in classes.
Here’s a list of famous yoga institutions in India
Famous yoga institutions in India
Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute, Pune
- One of the best yoga institutions of India, Ramamani Iyengar Memorial is located in Pune that attracts a large number of students from all over the world.
- It conducts regular classes in Iyengar Yoga (a form of Hatha Yoga) for all levels and many times, special classes are also conducted for women, children, and for people with medical problems.
Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram, Chennai
- KYM is a popular place with national and international yoga devotees who believe in ‘healing people through yoga.’
- KYM’s teachings and practice are very simple and flexible. All the elements of yoga are combined to produce the best outcome for teachers and students.
Parmarth Niketan, Rishikesh
- Parmarth Niketan is situated in the town of Rishikesh, Uttarakhand. It is one of the most renowned places to study and learn yoga.
- The place is spread over eight-acre and has around 1,000 rooms. It runs a program of yoga for beginners, Vedic heritage, spirituality, and teacher training courses. Daily classes are also open for visitors.
- The place also organizes International Yoga Festival at the ashram every March.
Ashtanga Institute, Mysore
- The Ashtanga Institute, located in Mysore offers ashtanga yoga classes throughout the year.
- The place has a positive environment and students are much disciplined here. For taking admission, you need to apply at least two months in advance.
Bihar School of Yoga, Munger
- The Bihar School of Yoga ashram was founded in 1964 by Swami Satyananda Saraswati, a student of Swami Sivananda Saraswati who is one of the greatest yoga masters of the 20th century.
- The school is very old that teaches a full yogic lifestyle. Satyananda Yoga incorporates traditional postures, breathing, and meditation.
- The school also offers offshoot course, which is open to foreigners.
International Center for Yoga Education and Research, Puducherry
- It is one of the most traditional centers of India that teaches eight forms of yoga.
- The main Yoga course available here is a 6-month residential teacher training program, which has been running since 1968.
- A special 6 months advanced teachers training course is also offered for those who have completed the first 6 months.
Do read: Best five yoga poses for runners
Mysore Mandala, Mysore, Karnataka
- Mysore Mandala is one of the most beautiful yoga centres in Mysore which is a western style studio than a traditional ashram.
- This place is owned by an organic farmer and agriculturist N. Harish Bheemaiah. This is an Ayurveda healing center. There are many qualified & experienced Ashtanga yoga, Hata Yoga teachers like BNS Iyengar, Dr. V. Nagaraj other.
- In between the classes, students can lounge in the garden or can chat with the octogenarian teacher.