Festivals and fairs in September– Owning to the pleasant weather after the rains, the month of September brings a medley of festivals and fairs in India, from Krishna Janmashtami to Ganesh Chaturthi to Onam Kala Kettu. So that you make most of this festival season, we have a list of major festivals and fairs in September:
1. Ladakh Festival, September 1-4, 2019
The Ladakh Festival is a cultural event for the region, which was created to extend the tourist season. It involves polo-matches, music concerts, mask dances, archery, photo exhibitions, and folk performances. Various discounts are available on hotel and local transport duration of the festival.
Must Read: Best Places to visit in September in India
2. Ganesh Chaturthi, September 2–12, 2019:
The 11-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival honors the birth of Lord Ganesha. On the first day of the festival, huge crafted statutes of Ganesh are installed in homes. And at the end of the festival, the statues are paraded through the streets and then submerged in the ocean.
3. Onam, September 2–13, 2019. The main day is September 11:
The biggest festival in Kerala is Onam. It is a traditional 10-day festival that marks the homecoming of the mythical King Mahabali. People decorate the veranda in front of their houses with flowers and colors. The people wear new clothes and serve feasts on banana leaves.
4. Muharram festival, September 10: It is a Muslim festival celebrated by both Shias and Sunni Muslims that celebrates the holy prophet’s son, Hazrat Imam Hussain’s martyrdom. It is also known as Ashura. It falls in the first month of the Islamic calendar. It is celebrated on the 9th, 10th, and 11th day of the first month by fasting, exchanging gifts and blessings. It is celebrated at various places in India.
5. Ramnagar Ramleela, September 12–October 13, 2019: This Ramleela has been taking place in Ramnagar from the last 200 years. It is a re-enactment of the Hindu epic Ramayana: The victory of Good over evil. It takes place for 30 days on the banks of River Ganges. It is enacted in the holy city of Ramnagar, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
These are some of the major festivals and fairs in September that are celebrated in India.