Gautam Gambhir Interesting Facts – Gautam Gambhir is a former Indian cricketer who has played all formats of Cricket. He is also the current member of the Lok Sabha since 2019. Gautam Gambhir was born on 14 October 1981 to Deepak Gambhir and Seema Gambhir. He is the only Indian and one of four international cricketers to score hundreds in five consecutive Test matches. Gambhir is the only Indian batsman to score more than 300 runs in four consecutive test series. Want to know more? Here are some facts about Gautam Gambhir- his childhood, cricket, career, political, and personal life.
Gautam Gambhir Interesting Facts
Facts about Gautam Gambhir- childhood, cricket, political and personal life Childhood and education
- He was adopted by his grandparents soon after he was born and always stayed with them. His mother was discharged from the hospital eighteen days after Gautam was born. His grandparents insisted his parents to leave him at their home.
- Gambhir completed his education from Modern School, New Delhi.
- In the year 2000, he was selected for National Cricket Academy in Bangalore.
- Gautam finished his graduation from Hindu College, Delhi.
- He started playing cricket when he was 10 years old.
Cricket records- Gautam Gambhir Interesting Facts
- When he was 17-year-old, he made his One Day International (ODI) debut in 2003 against Bangladesh at Dhaka and played his first test the following year against Australia.
- In 2007 ICC World Twenty20, Gautam Gambhir was India’s top scorer finishing with 227 runs. It was the second-highest overall, Matthew Hayden was the first with 265 runs.
- He was honored with the Arjuna Award in 2008 by the President of India. And in 2009, he was ranked number one batsman in ICC Test rankings.
- Gambhir has played 147 ODIs and scored 5,238 runs with 34 half-centuries. His average in ODI cricket is 39.68.
Gautam Gambhir Interesting Facts
- In 2010, Gambhir was appointed captain of the national team in the ODI series against New Zealand at home. He scored 150 in the fourth match in Calcutta to help seal the series. He was given Man-of-the-Series award for leading India to a 5-0 win.
- He captained the Indian team in six ODIs from late-2010 to late-2011 with India winning all six matches.
- His record of scoring 97 runs in 122 balls in the 2011 World Cup final is the main highlight of his career.
- Gambhir became the most expensive player in the history of IPL with a whopping deal of 2.4 million in 2011. Under his captaincy, Kolkata Knight Riders won their first IPL title in 2012 and then again in 2014.
- Gambhir is also the first Indian batsman, and fourth overall, to record five 100s in five consecutive Tests.
- Gautam also became the second player in history to score 11 consecutive fifties in 11 Tests, earlier achieved by Sir Viv Richards.
- Gambhir is the first Indian to record more than 300 runs in four consecutive Test series.
- He announced his retirement from all forms of cricket in December 2018.
Personal life – Gautam Gambhir Interesting Facts
- In 2011, Gambhir married Natasha Jain. The couple married in a private ceremony in Westend Farm on the Delhi-Gurgaon road.
- He is the father of two girls. His first baby girl, Aazeen, was born in May 2014. Second one, Anaiza, was born in 2017.
- Gautam Gambhir joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on 22 March 2019.
- In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, he contested from East Delhi constituency and won defeating Congress candidate Arvinder Singh Lovely by a margin of over 3.91 lakh votes. Currently, he is the Member of Parliament.
Awards – Gautam Gambhir Interesting Facts
- He was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2008 by the President of India.
- Gautam ranked number one batsman in ICC Test rankings in 2009.
- In 2019, he received the fourth highest civilian award in India, Padma Shri from the Government of India.