The CBI Court in Panchkula has held Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh guilty of raping two ‘sadhvis’. He may face upto seven years in jail. The quantum of trial shall be announced on 28th August. Although the case was filed by CBI in 2002, but the case came up for trials only in 2008.
Followers of Ram Rahim Singh started gathering in huge numbers in Panchkula since yesterday. The city is almost in a state of lock down. Bus and train services to Panchkula have been cancelled and schools and colleges remained closed today. Paramilitary forces are on high alert to take care of any untoward incident. Mobile internet and data services have been suspended in Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh for 72 hours. Delhi has also been put on high alert.
Major incidents reported till now after the verdict are :
– Income tax office in Panchkula’s Sector 2 and petrol pump in Sector-4 set on fire.
– Power house in Sangrur set on fire.
– Malout railway station and a petrol pump been set on fire allegedly by Ram Rahim supporters.
– Balluana village railway station, situated near Abohar in Bathinda district, burnt.
– Curfew imposed in Ferozepur, Mansa, Malout, Muktsar and Bathinda and Panchkula.
– Agitated mobs are barging into government buildings in Sector 2 and 5 of Panchkula and vandalising buildings.
– Tear gas and lathicharge in Panchkula’s sector 5 as crowds turned violent.
– Attacks on media vans.