Foundation is usually applied as a base for makeup to even out the skin tone. It also hides freckles and blemishes on the skin. It is not only applied to the facial area but it can also be applied to other parts of the body like neck, shoulders, arms and legs to have a uniform skin colour. Many brands make different types of foundations based on skin colour, skin type, consistency and purpose of use. Availability of numerous brands and types of foundations makes it difficult to choose the right foundation for oneself.
How to choose the right foundation for your skin?
Let’s take you through a 3-step guide to select the right foundation for your skin.
- SKIN TONE
- You must be completely aware of your skin tone which could be light, medium or dark.
- If you have a light complexion then check whether it is a more of a pinkish or pale yellowish tone then choose a light tone foundation with a pink or yellow hue accordingly.
- In case you have medium or dark complexion, choose the closest shade. A wrong shade of foundation can completely ruin the look while the right shade does wonders to enhance your features and overall look.
- SKIN TYPE
- You shall have knowledge of your skin type. There are primarily four types of skins- oily, dry, normal or combination of both.
- If you have Oily skin, then choose a non-oil based foundation. A powder-based foundation will help in mattifying the oils on your face giving it a radiant and non-greasy look.
- If you have dry skin, then choose oil or water-based foundations. The oil or water will rehydrate your skin so you have a glowing face.
- For normal skin, use a moisturizing foundation. You can even keep switching between dewy or matte finish.
- If you have a combination skin, then try both the aforementioned types of foundations to know which works best for you.
- Your skin might have a negligible uneven skin tone, some blemishes and pimples or deep scars and marks depending upon such factors choose a sheer, medium or high coverage foundation. Don’t apply a thick layer otherwise, it will give you a flaky look. For better and long lasting results, seal your foundation with loose powder.
Benefits of applying foundation
- It helps in camouflaging uneven skin tone, pimples, blemishes, scars and too oily or dry skin thereby enhancing your complexion and giving you a clean look.