In recent years, there has been a tremendous increase in the number of childhood obesity cases. Preference for food in a child develops concerning what he is being served, or merely by observing what his adults eat or feed upon. Besides, food availability also plays a decisive role in moulding a child’s preference for food. There have been a lot of researches highlighting childhood obesity prevention and diet suggestions.
Childhood Obesity- A grave health problem:
An obese child is prone to witness social isolation, lower self-esteem, and depression. The same effects, if ignored may prove to be long lasting, even in adulthood.
Must Read: Fitness tips – Five common mistakes for new runners
Obese children stand at a higher risk of suffering from the wrath of chronic health disorders. Some of the most common health disorders are inclusive of asthma, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, pain in bones and jaws.
As the study of childhood obesity advances further, it has been highlighting the upcoming issues of type 2 diabetes to be associated with it. If a child suffers from the wrath of type 2 obesity, it may further lead to cardiovascular disorders.
It is therefore essential for every parent to have some insights into childhood obesity prevention and diet suggestions.
How can you contribute towards preventing childhood obesity?
Your first aim needs to enhancing your child’s healthy eating habits:
- Try to include as much as vegetables, whole grains, and fruits in your child’s diet.
- The inclusion of low-fat dairy products and their derivatives.
- Supplement protein requirements with lean meats, lentils, beans, poultry, and fishes.
- Increase your family’s water intake levels.
- Avoid sweet and carbonated beverages.
- Supplement calorie-rich foods with adequate proportions of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Inculcate a sense of regular physical activity in your child. A daily physical work-out shall assist your child with the following:
- Strengthening of bones and lowering the elevating blood pressure.
- Helps in overcoming the health risks associated with stress, anxiety and in turn help in improvising self-esteem with an effective weight management strategy.
Recommended reading: Mini workouts for better health
Besides, following a regulated dietary pattern, inculcate a regular habit of sincere physical work-out in your child. Brisk walking, playing tag, dancing, swimming, jumping rope and playing soccer are some of the physical activities you may ask your child to undergo frequently.
Finally, work out a schedule for your child’s sedentary time:
In addition to all the above preventive measures, parents must emphasize reducing children’s indulgence in sedentary time. It is advisable to limit his or her indulgence in watching television, playing video games or browsing over the internet for more than 2 hours per day.
These are some of the childhood obesity prevention and diet suggestions from the best pool of scientific researchers across the globe.