Are you looking for a healthy diet for weight gain or vegetarian diet plan for weight gain because you are underweight? Being underweight is as extreme as being overweight. Don’t ever feel like it is okay to be too thin because it is not! Those who are underweight have the tendency to suffer from risks like malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, anemia, osteoporosis from too little vitamin D & calcium, decreased immune function, increased risk for complications from surgery, fertility issues caused by irregular menstrual cycles, growth and development issues, especially in children and teenagers.
The right diet for weight gain
The reason why we say that this is the right diet plan for weight gain is because it includes all minerals and vitamins that are necessary for growth, especially for a person who is underweight or who is looking to gain healthy weight.
Must Read: 5 Exercises to help you gain weight
Your most effective diet for weight gain
Homemade Protein Smoothies
As much as this seems like a task, it really isn’t. Protein smoothies are usually highly nutritious and the easiest way to gain healthy weight. It is not even as complicated as most people make it. All you need to do is pick your favourite flavor & nutrients and mix them together in just one drink. This is a simple way to provide your body with 400-600 calories, along with protein and other vitamins and minerals that are necessary for your growth. Here are some smoothie options that you can try.
- The Chocolate Banana Nut Shake: Mix together 1 banana, 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, and 1 tablespoon of peanut/1 tablespoon of any nut butter in 2 cups of milk or almond milk.
- The Vanilla Berry Shake: Mix together 1 cup of fresh/frozen mixed berries, ice, 1 cup of natural high-protein yogurt, and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein in 2 cups of milk or almond milk.
- The Chocolate Hazelnut Shake: Mix together 15 ounces of chocolate milk, 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, 1 tablespoon of hazelnut butter, and 1 avocado in 2 cups of milk or almond milk.
- The Caramel Apple Shake: Mix together 1 sliced apple, 1 cup of natural yogurt, 2 scoop of caramel or vanilla whey protein, and 1 tablespoon of sugar-free caramel flavouring in 2 cups of milk or almond milk.
- The Super Green Shake: Mix together 1 cup of spinach, 1 banana, 1 avocado, 1 cup of pineapple, and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein in 2 cups of milk or almond milk.
Healthy diet for weight gain
Since we’re looking for solutions to gain healthy weight, it is vital for you to get most of your calories from nutritious whole foods that include:
- Plant-based proteins: tofu, edamame (soybean), tempeh, peas, and chickpeas
- Vegetables: sweet potatoes, peas, kale, peppers, zucchini, squash, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, etc.
- Fruits: avocados, different types of berries, apples, bananas, pears, oranges, grapes, etc.
- Grains: oats, rice, different breads, pastas, and quinoa
- Dairy: milk, cottage cheese, kefir, and Greek yogurt.
- Fats and oils: dry fruits including almonds, walnuts, and flax seeds, olive oil, and nut butters like peanut or almond butter
- Animal-based proteins: whole eggs, chicken, salmon and other oily fish.
Recommended Reading: Simple yoga exercises to gain weight
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.