There are some major functions of vitamin D for which you first need to learn some basics about Vitamin D. You might wonder why Vitamin D is so important for our body, well it is essential for strong bones as it helps our body to use the calcium from our diet. There are several drawbacks of deficiencies of Vitamin D which is why you must try ways to get the right amount of Vitamin D to your body.
With Deficiency of Vitamin D, you will suffer from milk allergies and might also be at risk if you follow a strict vegan diet. There are some common sources of Vitamin D like, sunlight, fish, fish liver oils, egg yolks, fortified dairy products, and grain products.
Here are some major functions of Vitamin D.
- Fights Diseases: Vitamin D can reduce the risk of multiple sclerosis, heart diseases, Flu, etc..
- Reduces Depression: Vitamin D plays an important part in the regulation of mood and treating depression. It is proved that people with a deficiency of vitamin D experienced anxiety and depressions whereas people having vitamin D supplements noticed improvements in the symptoms.
- Boosts Weight Loss: It is scientifically proven that people eating calcium and vitamin D supplements are able to lose more weight than people who don’t take it. People who are overweight improve in reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- Healthy Bones: Vitamin D plays a major role in regulating calcium and phosphorus in our blood, which are the major factors in maintaining healthy bones. Its deficiency can cause rickets to children and in adults it’s deficiency can cause osteoporosis which generally indicates softening of bones which further causes muscle weaknesses.
- Diabetes: Insufficient level of Vitamin D in people suffering from diabetes may have a negative effect on the insulin secretion and glucose tolerance.
- Prevents Cancer: Vitamin D is most important to regulate cell growth and intercellular communication. Vitamin D can reduce cancer progression by slowing down the growth of new blood vessels in the cancer tissue. Vitamin D’s deficiency can increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases, autism, asthma, hypertension, etc…
These were just some functions of Vitamin D from which we can benefit our health.
For more updates, do Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.