Before we begin talking about the difference between good and bad cholesterol, let us first know, What is Cholesterol? Cholesterol is a waxy substance made to protect the nerves and to make tissues, certain hormones, form cell membranes, and Vitamin D. You can get cholesterol from foods like eggs, meats, and dairy.
Too much cholesterol can be bad for the health and that is where ‘good and bad cholesterol’ comes in the picture. So, what is the difference between ‘good cholesterol’ and ‘bad cholesterol’?
Things to keep in mind while learning about good and bad cholesterol
- Cholesterol does not dissolve in water and cannot travel through the blood on its own. This is why it needs lipoproteins to transport through the body. Hence, it uses HDL and LDL, high-density lipoprotein and low-density lipoprotein to travel through the body.
- Good Cholesterol, also known as high-density lipoprotein (HDL), removes cholesterol from the bloodstream.
- Bad Cholesterol, also known as low-density lipoprotein (LDL) stores or accumulates cholesterol in the blood causing an irregular flow of blood and its ingredients.
Must Read: Intermittent Fasting Diet Plan
More differences between Good and Bad Cholesterol
- The LDL cholesterol causes ‘cholesterol plague’. This means that it forms a plague around the arteries of the body.
- HDL cholesterol, on the other hand, helps the LDL cholesterol to return back to the liver. This helps to remove the LDL cholesterol from the body and prevents the plague from building up in the arteries.
- If your total cholesterol levels are high due to a high LDL level, then you are at a higher risk of heart disease or stroke.
- If your total cholesterol levels are high due to a high HDL level, then you are probably not at such a higher risk of heart diseases, stroke, etc.
These were some major differences between good and bad cholesterol. And because there are no symptoms of high or low cholesterol, it is recommended that you must regularly get your cholesterol levels checked. If not taken care of, high cholesterol can lead to health problems like heart attacks, strokes, etc. So be cautionary with your health and do what’s best to fix the cholesterol levels of the body.
Recommended Reading: Why Say Yes to Salads – Health Benefits of Salad
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.