Agree or don’t, we all wish to have some warm soup on chilly and cold winter nights. The weather these days is perfect for some hot soups. So, why not check out these healthy soup recipes that can keep you healthy in this weather that you adore so much.
Traditionally a French cuisine, soups can be classified into 2 main groups: Clear and Thick. Clear Soups are classified into bouillon and consommé while thick soups are classified depending on the type of thickening agents that are used in it like purées, bisques, béchamel sauce, veloutés, etc… Soups are primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot. It is made by combining ingredients like different vegetables or meat and water. The ingredients used in soups are generally picked for their flavours.
The 3 healthy soup recipes that you’ve got to try at home – soup recipes for home
If you want to have some me-time next to your window at night or just a warm meal with your family, these healthy soup recipes are just the best for you to try. It not only keeps you healthy but also go perfectly as per the weather.
The Classic Vegetable Soup Recipe
A variety of vegetables is the healthiest that you can eat and this is why this soup recipe is our first and most recommended. Apart from being healthy, it is also tasty and can easily be made at home. So, here is how you can cook the classic vegetable soup at home within 10 minutes.
- Chop all veggies into tiny pieces. You can use 1/3 cup of chopped carrots, 1/3 cup of chopped cabbage, 1/3 cup of chopped beans, 2 tablespoons chopped spring onions, and 2 teaspoons of minced garlic.
- Take a small bowl and add 2 tablespoons of cornflour, 3 tablespoons of water and mix them well.
- Take a stockpot. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil/butter and keep this on a medium flame. Then add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cabbage, 1/3 cup of sweet corn kernels, beans, and salt. Stir this mix for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2&1/2 cups of water and stir well to bring the mixture to a boil. Once it boils, add salt according to your taste. You can also add black pepper powder.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and stir continuously to avoid lumps. Cook it until the mixture turns thick. This might take 7-8 minutes.
- Next, you must add vinegar and mix it well.
- Lastly, before turning off the flame, make sure you taste the soup for seasonings.
healthy soup recipes – soup recipes for home
The Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
With the creaminess of mushroom and the goodness of fiber in barley, here’s a recipe for the mushroom barley soup that will hardly take 20 minutes to be prepared.
- Wash and soak half a cup of barley in 1&1/2 cup of water for at least 4 hours or overnight. This makes it easy to digest and cooks faster.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on a medium flame.
- Now, add 1 chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and sauté this mixture until the onions turn light brown in colour.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped carrots, 1/4 cup of chopped celery stalk, and 250 grams of sliced button mushrooms and cook the mix for 5 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable stock or water, the soaked barley, and some salt. Mix these ingredients well and let it boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the mix until the barley turns soft. Keep the soup covered for nearly 15-20 minutes.
- Lastly, add the seasonings and cook the soup uncovered for another 10 minutes.
healthy soup recipes – soup recipes for home
The Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
We’d rather call this recipe a ‘skinny tomato soup recipe’ for its miraculously low number of calories and fat. This tomato basil soup recipe has a spectacular taste thanks to all the flavors and it can be served within 25 minutes.
- Take a medium saucepan and heat the 2 teaspoons of olive oil on a medium flame.
- Add 1 small chopped onion, 1 chopped stalk celery, and 1 minced clove of garlic. Sauté this mix until the ingredients soften. (for about 5 minutes). Make sure the garlic doesn’t turn brown.
- Add 1/2 a cup of chopped basil, 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and 2 cups of broth of choice. Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then, remove the soup from heat and allow to cool a little.
- Now, if you like your soup chunky, use an immersion blender to purée the soup. You can also alternatively purée the soup in batches.
As much as we like soups, these 3 classic healthy vegetable soup recipes are the best light and healthy soups that you can easily make at home. Since winters are just right ahead, we hope you love these warm mixes and enjoy them at home with your family and friends.
Recommended Reading: The Best Protein Powders available in India
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.