Are you wondering how does walking during pregnancy help an individual? Walking is one of the best exercises one can do. Walking helps the body fight against all sorts of chronic diseases. A half-an-hour walk can reduce weight, decrease the chance of cardiovascular disorders, improve blood circulation, strengthen bones and also boost the body’s immune system.
During pregnancy, walking has many benefits as it keeps the mother fit and healthy. During pregnancy, it is important to remain active as many changes occur in your body in that time period. Obviously, you can’t do heavy exercises during pregnancy so, all you need to do is “walk”. Walking is considered as the best cardiovascular exercise for women during pregnancy. Even the doctor says that walking is safe for pregnant women and the mother can do it throughout the nine months of pregnancy.
How walking during pregnancy is beneficial-Importance, Reasons & Benefits of walking during pregnancy
What are the benefits of walking during Pregnancy?
There are many benefits of walking during pregnancy:
- Physically active: Walking during pregnancy keeps you and your baby active and also tones your muscles.
- Uplift your mood: Walking around nature can uplift your mood and acts as a stress-buster.
- Labor: During walking, the hip muscles get toned which helps in more relaxed labor.
- Pain and Discomfort: Joints pain and discomfort due to growing belly can get eased by regular walks.
- Weight Gain: During this phase, weight gain is natural. Daily walks keep your weight at a healthy level.
- The health of the Baby: Walking keeps not only your weight in check, but also maintains the baby’s weight.
- Control Diabetes: Women who are prone to type-2 diabetes during pregnancy can maintain their diabetes through walking. It also controls cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Ease pregnancy-related problems: Most of the pregnant women face problems like sickness, anxiety, cramps, and constipation. Walking can ease all these conditions and can make women feel calmer.
Do read: DO’s and DONT’s for Pimple Reduction
How long can you walk during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, it is advised to walk about 30 minutes or 15 minutes twice a day. A short walk every day is more comfortable than a long walk taken every few days.
How to manage walking during pregnancy
Depending on the fitness level before pregnancy, you should manage walking during pregnancy.
In this first trimester, the mothers who weren’t exercising before pregnancy should start with 10-20 minute walks for three days a week and can scale up to 15-20 minutes for at least five days a week by the end of the trimester.
Women who had been exercising before pregnancy can start with 20-30 minutes for four days a week and can go up to 40-60 minutes for six days a week.
In the second trimester, morning sickness increases so it’s better to walk for five to six days a week with 20-30 minutes per day. Those who are regular should walk six days a week for about 30-50 minutes.
In the third trimester, the walk needs to be dropped. In this trimester, the mother needs to be calm and relaxed. Walk as per your mood and comfort. Also, reduce the number of days of walking. This phase is all about relaxing and preparing for delivery.
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.