Here is a fact, Teenagers have a problem with sleeping early.
Wondering why? Well, it happens because of melatonin which is basically a hormone that initiates the sleeping process of our body. As per various studies, the secretion of melatonin in teenagers begins at around 10:45 p.m. and continues until about 8 a.m. This means that the teenagers are unable to fall asleep until melatonin secretion begins and they are also not able to awaken until the melatonin secretion stops.
Now here are some ways to help your teen exercise and have enough sleep.
- Indulge your kid into practicing at least one sport of their interest. There is a simple logic behind this. Firstly, your kid will become busy and the activity will help them get tired which will help them in sleeping early. Secondly, it will also help them in learning discipline as to how to manage their time by meeting their day’s study goal as also staying healthy and fit.
- Set a bedtime routine. Set a bedtime for your teenagers and also make sure to switch off their screens at least half an hour before going to bed. Limiting their time to use screens can have a drawback in making them stubborn but you need to make sure they understand your point of view and keep themselves away from getting into gadgets at night.
- Avoid Caffeine. You must make sure that your teenagers don’t consume something which has a high content of caffeine as that may lead to sleep disruption.
Also read: Ways to Raise Confident Kids.
- Undereating or overeating side effects. Undereating or overeating can cause a disturbance for your teenage sons and daughters in the middle of the night. You should try to feed them a neutral amount of portion in their dinners. Overeating will make them uncomfortable while under eating will make them feel hungry again after a while resulting in disruption of sleep.
- Set a good example. Set a good example for them. You need to make sure that you follow up on the same schedule as them. The reason is that if they see you watching movies till late at night they might want to do the same. So, when they look at how healthy and fit you are, they will want to be more like you.
More ways to help your teen exercise and have enough sleep:
- Regular exercises. Exercising regularly will help teenagers improve their health and fitness and will also make sure to keep their sleeping patterns maintained.
- Try to let your teenagers share. You should try to let them share their concerns with you. Sometimes teenagers don’t feel free to share too much with their parents thinking about how they might react. Work towards a relationship in which your children share whatever is bothering them. This will not only give them relief from any stress they may have but will also guide them towards the right path in life.
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.