There are certain products that promote weight gain due to chemicals in consumer goods and that we use daily that can cause problems like early puberty, weight gain, diabetes and other issues like these. Here are some chemicals you must check in products before purchasing as they can be harmful to our health and might cause weight gain issues.
- Bisphenol-A (BPA): This is a chemical mostly found in hard plastics and plastic linings. It suppresses the hormones that interact with insulin which is used to metabolize sugar. It also leads to diabetes and insulin resistance. It acts like estrogen in our body which also concludes in gaining weight for women. To avoid using products with this chemical, try using canned products which have the BPA free label.
- Organochlorine Pesticides: This chemical is used to kill insects and is the oldest toxic pesticide used in agriculture. These pesticides link to diabetes as they impair insulin functions. To avoid eating this you can try an organic diet. It is true that it is unaffordable sometimes but you can at least reduce the intake of these pesticides by eating organic instead. This is also used in some hair products to get rid of lice in hair.
- Parabens: This chemical is mostly used in cosmetics like mascara and other body products like lotions and hair products like shampoos. It is believed that most foundations used in makeup have around 70-90% of parabens chemical which is again close to estrogen chemically, so our body mistakes it to be the female hormone and can promote gain in weight, particularly around our thighs and hips. This can be easily avoided by using no parabens chemical makeup and skin products.
- Phthalates: This chemical is used in making soft plastics in order for them to not break easily. It is mostly found in toys and electronics and is also used to preserve cosmetics and toiletries. This chemical has chances to interfere with various hormonal signaling. You can avoid the use of this chemical by using avoiding the use of toys with this content. This chemical is also mentioned as DBP and DEP. Avoid this chemical for yourself and especially for children.
- Triclosan: This is an antibacterial and an antifungal agent which is mostly found in antibacterial soaps, toothpaste and cleaners. This chemical has the tendency to reduce muscular strength. Simply avoid its use for your better health.
Disclaimer: This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.