Hima Das Facts – Hima Das, known as Dhing Express is an Indian sprint runner who was born on 9 January 2000 in the state of Assam. She holds the current Indian national record in 400 meters in 50.79 s which was recorded in the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia. Hima Das became the first Indian athlete to win a gold medal in a track event at the IAAF World U20 Championships. In this article, you’ll find the facts to know about Hima Das.
Here are some facts to know about Hima Das:
Birth and Education
Hima Das was born in the town of Dhing in the state of Assam to Ronjit and Jonali Das. She completed her education from Dhing Public High School and was interested in playing football. She passed the 12th exam from Assam Higher Secondary Education Council in May 2019.
She wanted to pursue her career in football but did not see any possibility for herself in women’s football in India. Later, her school physical education teacher, Shamsul Hoque, advised her to switch to sprint running.
Hima Das Facts
Hima started to run in the rice fields of Assam, where her father spent most of his time in farming. She used to cover the lengths of the muddy field of her school in a speed of light. And within a few months, she was qualified to compete in state championships in Guwahati, where she won bronze in 100 m race.
She didn’t have the professional training like other competitors but made it to the finals in the Junior National Championship that was held in Coimbatore.
Hima Das Facts
Nabajit Malakar and Nipon Das, her two coaches talked to Hima’s family about letting her stay in Guwahati to start with the training. Her parents let their daughter spread her wings and fulfill her dreams.
Must read: DPR Korea lift the Intercontinental Cup 2019
More facts to know about Hima Das
Hima Das Gold Medal Achievements
- Hima competed in Commonwealth Games in April 2018 at Gold coast, Australia in the 400 meters and the 4×400 meters relay. In the 400 meters, she finished sixth at 51.32 seconds.
- In the 4×400 meters relay, she played for the Indian team that finished seventh in the final, with 3 minutes and 33.61 seconds.
- On 12 July 2018, Das became the first Indian sprinter to win a gold medal at an international track event by winning the 400 m in 51.46 seconds in final at the World U-20 Championships 2018 held in Finland.
- At the 2018 Asian Games, Das set a new record by qualifying for the 400 m final in 51.00 seconds. On 26 August 2018, she improved her record to 50.79 s in the 400 m final to win the silver medal. On 30 August 2018, she won the women’s 4 × 400 meters relay in 3:28.72. And on the same day, due to a false start in the semifinal, Das failed to qualify for the final of the 200 meters race.
- Adidas signed an endorsement deal with Hima Das in September 2018.
- On July 2, 2019, she won 200m Gold in Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland, in 23.65 seconds.
- Then, on July 7, 2019, she again won 200m gold at the Kutno Athletics Meet with a time of 23.97 seconds.
- She won gold on July 13, in 200m at the Kladno Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic with a time of 23.43 seconds.
- She also received the gold medal in the 200m race at the Tabor Athletics Meet, on 17 July 2019, in the Czech Republic in 23.25 seconds.
- On 20 July 2019, she lifts her fifth gold in July’19 in her 400-meter race in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic in 52.09 seconds. In the month of July 2019, she collected a total of 5 gold medals in a month.
Hima Das Facts