The Inauguration of National War Memorial took place on 25th February 2019, by Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi, addressing an ex-servicemen rally at the National Stadium.
“The memorial would be iconic and will serve as a new landmark, which would attract people from all over the world”, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Some highlights about the inauguration of National War Memorial:
- Spread over 40 acres, the National War Memorial will be dedicated to the Indian soldiers by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- During the inauguration, Modi will light the ‘eternal flame’ under a 15.5-meter tall obelisk at the memorial that will mark the souls of soldiers who laid down their lives for the country.
- The complex is a mark to honour and remember the sacrifices made by Indian soldiers since Independence with the names of martyrs etched in stone.
- The ceremony will be held at the memorial located at India Gate. It will include dropping of flower petals by Indian Air Force helicopters over it.
- An air force ‘missing man’ formation of three fighter aircraft signifying the departure of a fallen comrade will also be displayed.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and chiefs of the army, air force and navy will be present there for honouring Indian soldiers.
- The obelisk stands at a height of 15.5 meters and is visible even from a distance as one enters the complex.
- The obelisk is surrounded by Veerta Chakra with six bronze murals depicting different battle actions. Each mural weighs between 600kg and 1,000kg.
- With these, there is Tyag Chakra which has been made entirely of granite bricks, each consisting the name of a fallen soldier since India’s Independence.
- At present, there are 25,942 carved named on the walls and there is scope to add more names, officials said.
- The National War Memorial consists of over 600 trees that act as a wall and will represent the soldiers who protect the country.
- There is no entry fee to visit the National War Memorial complex.
Nation’s Most Holy Pilgrimage Finally we got National War Memorial😊💪
This Memorial symbolises the victory & valour of our bravehearts who made their supreme sacrifice in guarding the honour, unity, integrity & sovereignty of our country.
Thanks Sh @narendramodi Ji🙏
Jai Hind🇮🇳 pic.twitter.com/BwHaVg5Z69
— Major Surendra Poonia (@MajorPoonia) February 25, 2019