Most popular cuisines of India – India is a country with diverse cultures, different religions, and varied cuisines. Almost every major Indian state has its own unique cuisine. Here are some of the most popular cuisines of India.
Most popular cuisines of India
- Rajasthani cuisine is a reflection of war-like lifestyles and the availability of ingredients in the region.
- The generally spicy food can last for many days and be even eaten without heating.
- As the state has limited resources of water, Rajasthani food requires less water to prepare.
- The people of Rajasthan usually prefer Pyaaj Kachori, Bajre ki roti (millet bread), Lahsun ki chutney (hot garlic paste), Mawa Kachori from Jodhpur, Malpauas and Rassgollas, and gheriya.
Must read: Five Best Mouth-watering Rajasthani Dishes
- The cuisine of North India is rich in curries and thick sauces with bread and fragrant yogurts. The cuisine includes world-famous tandoori chicken and chana masala. The most common combination of curry is Onion, tomato, ginger, and garlic.
- North Indian cuisine is popular in states like Punjab, Chandigarh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, and Uttar Pradesh.
- Some of the most famous dishes of North Indian cuisine are Butter chicken, Chole-bhature, Rajma-chawal, Kadhi-chawal, Dal-Makhni, and Shahi Paneer.
- Gujarat is majorly a vegetarian state because of the influence of Jain vegetarianism. However, many communities prefer seafood, chicken, and mutton in their diet.
- The main Gujarati thali comprises of roti, dal or kadhi, rice, and shaak/sabzi (a dish made up of several different combinations of vegetables and spices.
- The five major regions of Gujarat i.e. North Gujarat, Kathiawad, Kachchh, Central Gujarat and South Gujarat contribute their unique touch to Gujarati cuisine. A bit of sugar is added to almost all the Gujarati dishes.
- Most famous Gujarati dishes are Dhokla, Khakhda, Khandvi, Patrode, Undhiyu, Dal Dhokli, Basundi, Khichdi, and Locho. And you just can’t miss the Cold Coco drink.
Some More in the list of Most popular cuisines of India
- Goan cuisine consists of foods which are popular in Goa. Food like rice, seafood, coconut, vegetables, meat, pork, and local spices are some of the main ingredients in Goan cuisine.
- Goa is located in a tropical climate where spices and flavors are intense. Goan uses kokum, which is another distinct feature of Goan cuisine.
- Goan Fish Curry, Shark Ambot Tik, Goan Pork Vindaloo, Sorpotel, Chicken Cafreal, Patolea, and Crab Xacuti are some of the most popular Goan dishes.
- Bihari cuisine is similar to North Indian cuisine but it has influence from other East Indian cuisines too.
- There are various Bihari meat dishes, with chicken and mutton being the most common. Fish dishes are especially common in the North Bihar due to the number of rivers.
- Bihar’s famous dishes are Bihari kebabs, litti chokha, Bihari chicken masala, Sattu (gram flour) paratha, Chokha (spicy mashed eggplant and potatoes).
- South Indian dishes include Rasam, Dosa, Sambhar, Uttapam, Upma, Rava Idli, Medu Vada, Lemon rice and Appam. The dishes are served with coconut chutney.
- South Indian cuisine includes the cuisines of the five states of India. They are Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Telangana.
Do read: Five famous food items of Tamil Nadu
- Marathi cuisine has different attributes.
- Maharashtrian cuisine includes mild and spicy dishes and grains like wheat, rice, jowar, bajra, vegetables, lentils and fruit are dietary staples. Peanuts and cashews are mostly served with vegetables.
- Some of the most popular Maharashtrian dishes are Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav, Puran Poli, Misal Pav, Modak, Sreekhand, Poha, Sabudana Khichdi, Rassa and Basundi.
- Rice is the primary food of Kashmiris. Rice along with meat is the most famous food item in Kashmir.
- Some famous Kashmiri dishes are Tabakhmaaz, Shab Deg, Dum Olav/Dum Aloo, Aab Gosh, Goshtaba.
With so much variety in spices, ingredients, textures and cooking styles, India has a lot to offer in terms of food. Try as many dishes as you can and share your experience with us in the comment section box.