Cancer is a disease everyone dreads and apart from timely detection and right treatment, a lot of courage and a strong willpower is required to fight it. The stories of Cancer survivors help people fighting this disease and also the loved ones of people fighting cancer giving them courage and motivating them. Recently, Bollywood’s famous actress Sonali Bendre has fought the disease and shared her journey with her followers on her social media platforms. Apart from Sonali, there are many other stars who fought the battle. So, let’s tell you about the Indian celebrities who survived cancer:
- Sonali Bendre born in a Maharashtrian family is an Indian film actress, model, television personality and author.
- On 4 July 2018, she revealed on Twitter that she has been diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing treatment in a hospital of New York.
- She has been open about her struggle with the disease and shared her journey with her well-wishers and fans on her social media handles. She has been declared cancer free but will have to keep a check on it.
Must read: Rich Indian Women with a Heart of Gold
- Manisha Koirala was born in a Brahmin family in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The gorgeous Nepali beauty was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 42. After several surgeries in New York and chemotherapies, she was declared cancer-free in the year 2015.
- She was last seen in Sanjay Dutt’s biopic ‘Sanju’ where she played the role of late Nargis Dutt.
- After winning her battle over cancer, she is actively involved in spreading awareness about the disease.
Indian celebrities who survived cancer – Yuvraj Singh
- Yuvraj, a former India cricketer was born in a Sikh Punjabi caste family.
- Post-ICC World Cup 2011, he was diagnosed with a rare germ cell cancer between his lungs.
- He underwent treatment at the Cancer Research Institute in Boston, United States.
- Yuvraj was discharged in March 2012 from a hospital after completing the final cycle of chemotherapy.
- Yuvraj runs an initiative called YOUWECAN to help cancer patients in their fight.
- Anurag Basu is a director, actor, screenwriter and producer born into an upper-middle-class Bengali family in Bhilai, Chhattisgarh.
- In 2004, Basu was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic Leukaemia (a type of blood cancer).
- Doctors told him that he may live for just three to four months but his strong will power and family support gave him the power to fight it.
- Mumtaz is an Indian film actress born on 31 July 1947.
- At the age of 54, this evergreen beauty was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought for about 11 years and remained positive.
- She was also featured in a documentary, ‘1 Minute’ based on cancer survival.
Indian celebrities who survived cancer – Rakesh Roshan
Rakesh Roshan, an Indian producer, director, screenwriter, editor, former actor and music director in Hindi films has been diagnosed with early-stage squamous cell carcinoma, a type of throat cancer in January 2019.
- With his strong family support, he is fighting his battle and taking treatments.
- His daughter, Sunaina is also a cancer survivor. She fought cervical cancer.
- In 2018, Irrfan Khan revealed that he had been diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer.
- Irrfan has now recovered and will be seen in his upcoming film Karwaan alongside Mithila Palkar and Dilquer Salmaan.
- In 2009, Lisa Rani Ray was diagnosed with multiple Myeloma (type of blood cancer).
- Ray keeps herself away from unnecessary media attention and fought her illness for over a year coming out victorious.
- In 2010, she made a public appearance saying that she had a full stem cell replacement and was cancer-free, but not fully cured as this disease is treatable but not curable.
Recommended reading: Reuben Singh matched turbans with his entire fleet of Rolls Royce cars