The Future’s Programmes and Cycle for the 2018-2023 season will see Asian giants Indian cricket team play the maximum amount of international cricket matches. A mammoth 203 matches will be played by the Indian cricket team across the three formats of the game. These include 51 tests, 83 ODIS and a new record number of 69 T20 Internationals.
The Indian cricket team leads the charts in ODIs and T20Isn. They are playing the maximum games and will be followed by West Indies who are scheduled to play 75 ODIs and 68 T20Is. In tests, England leads the line with 59 games. India comes second with 51 and is followed by Australia on 47. The list released by the ICC also revealed the list of matches and schedules for the inaugural World Test Championship and 13 team ODI tournament which will kick-off from 2019 and 2021 respectively.
“While FTP is now a bi-partite agreement but ICC also pitched in with their inputs while setting up the calendar. All those who thought that BCCI will ignore Test cricket should be relieved that we are playing more than 50 Tests in next five years,” a senior BCCI official said.
The immense amount of matches with the world cup also coming up next year puts the spotlight once again on a need for better management of matches. Extreme load and burden on the players has seen India often losing any of its main squad players due to injury. Domestic leagues like the Indian Premier League which are not included in this list are only going to add and aid in players burning-out quicker than ever. While we are all very eager to see the Indian team in action so many times in the coming 5 years, we hope a new template will be adopted by the BCCI to ensure players’ fitness.
Next FTP Cycle Per Team (2018-19-2022-23)
- India (203): 51 Tests, 83 ODIs, 69 T20Is
- West Indies (186): 43 Tests, 75 ODIs, 68 T20Is
- England (175): 59 Tests, 66 ODIs, 50T20Is
- Australia (174): 47 Tests, 68 ODIs, 59 T20Is
- Pakistan (164): 40 Tests, 61 ODIs, 63 T20Is
- South Africa (160): 38 Tests, 66 ODIs, 56 T20Is
- Sri Lanka (160): 43 Tests, 71 ODIs, 66 T20Is
- Bangladesh (160): 44 Tests, 59 ODIs, 57 T20Is
- New Zealand (159): 38 Tests, 62 ODIs, 59 T20Is
- Ireland (142): 13 Tests, 64 ODIs, 65 T20Is
- Zimbabwe (130): 21 Tests, 59 ODIs, 50 T20Is
- Afghanistan (109): 13 Tests, 51 ODIs, 45 T20Is
- The Netherlands (33): 24 ODIs, 9 T20Is
Stay tuned for the Indian cricket team match schedules and highlights.