Every year on this day, India remembers its beloved sons Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, and Shivaram Rajguru. On March 23, 1931, during the British Raj Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Hari Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar were hanged by the British rulers for their alleged involvement in the killing of John Saunders.
The day is also celebrated as Shaheed Diwas or Martyr’s Day. The trio freedom fighters sacrificed their lives for the Independence of India. On this Martyr’s Day, India pays homage to the sacrifice of its brave sons.
Here are some facts related to Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Shivaram Rajguru on this Martyr’s Day
- The real battle started after the death of Lala Lajpat Rai due to the injuries at a protest against Simon Commission.
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh swore to revenge Rai’s death and planned to attack James A Scott, who ordered lathi-charge on Lala Lajpat Rai, Rajguru, Sukhdev and Chandrashekhar Azad.
- During the incident, they made a mistake and shot John O Saunders instead of James A Scott. Due to this incident, police launched a massive force to capture the group.
- On 8 April 1929, Bhagat Singh along with Batukeshwar threw two crude bombs into the Central Assembly Chamber to protest against the Public Safety Bill and Trade Dispute Act.
- If they wanted, they could have run away and easily escaped. But, instead, they kept on shouting “Inquilab Zindabad” and also threw pamphlets which read “It is easy to kill individuals but you can’t kill the ideas”. The two were arrested and lodged in Delhi jail.
- Sukhdev was arrested when police found the bomb factory set up by Hindustan Socialist Republican Association in Lahore and Saharanpur.
- Starting with charging Bhagat Singh for a bombing in the assembly, later all the three Sukhdev, Bhagat Singh, and Rajguru were charged and sentenced to death in what is called as the Lahore Conspiracy Case.
- All three were hanged a day before the planned execution on 23 March 1931 at 7:30 PM as the British Government was scared of huge protests. Their bodies were later cremated on the banks of the Sutlej River.
We salute the martyrs who laid their lives for India’s freedom.
Recommended Reading: Vijay Salaskar: One Of India’s Best Encounter Specialist