Interesting facts about Amit Shah – Amit Shah is the President of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) since 2014. He was born on 22 October 1964 in Mumbai to Anil Chandra Shah, a successful businessman. Shah did his schooling in Mehsana, Gujarat and later studied biochemistry at CU Shah Science College. For some time, he worked in his father’s business, as a stockbroker and also in a co-operative bank in Ahmedabad.
Here are some Interesting facts about Amit Shah:
- Shah was interested in Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh since childhood. He became an RSS volunteer during his college days in Ahmedabad.
- He first met Narendra Modi in 1982 through Ahmedabad RSS circles. At that time, Narendra Modi was an RSS propagator who was in-charge of the youth activities.
- In 1983, Amit Shah started his political career as a leader of the RSS, the Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad. In 1986, he joined BJP and in the very next year, he became an activist of BJP’s youth wing Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
- He also campaigned for LK Advani in Gandhinagar during the Lok Sabha elections 1991 and later for Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1996.
- In 1995, BJP formed its first government in Gujarat and Keshubhai Patel became the Chief Minister. At that time, the Congress party was very powerful in Gujarat. Modi and Shah worked together to remove Congress from major cities. Their strategy was to find the second most influential leader from every village, and convince them to join BJP. After working hard, they created a network of 8,000 leaders from various villages.
- During Keshubhai Patel government, Amit Shah was appointed chairperson of Gujarat State Finance Corporation in 1995.
- In 1999, Shah was elected as the President of Ahmedabad District Cooperative Bank (ADCB), the biggest cooperative bank in India. At that time, the bank was on the verge of insolvency and was facing a loss of ₹ 36 crores. As Shah joined the bank, the bank’s fortune changed within a year. The next year, the bank registered a profit of ₹ 27 crores. By 2014, the bank’s profit increased to ₹ 250 crores.
- Amit Shah contested in 2002 Assembly elections from the Sarkhej constituency in Ahmedabad. He won by 158,036 votes. In the 2007 Assembly election, he again won from Sarkhej.
More Interesting facts about Amit Shah
- During Narendra Modi’s twelve-year tenure as the Gujarat CM, Shah was one of the most powerful leaders in Gujarat. After winning in 2002 elections, he became the youngest minister in the Modi government. Shah held 12 portfolios under him – Home, Border Security, Civil Defense, Law and Justice, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs, Transport, Excise, Prison, Prohibition, Home Guards, Gram Rakshak Dal, Police Housing, and.
- In 2009, he became the Vice-President of Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA). In 2014, when Modi became the Prime Minister of India, Shah became the president of GCA.
- On 25 July 2010, Amit Shah was arrested for Sohrabuddin case and was charged with the murder, extortion, and kidnapping case. Because of the case, many political leaders in the Gujarat government distanced themselves from him. When Shah applied for bail, CBI raised concern that he would use his political power to prevent justice from taking its course. But Shah said that if CBI had any solid evidence against him, then he himself will accept the punishment charged by the court. In 2010, Police Commissioner Geeta Johri, who first investigated the case, confessed that CBI was pressurizing her to falsely indicate Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin case. In September 2012, the Supreme Court granted him bail.
- After the bail, he contested in 2012 Assembly elections from Naranpura (Ahmadabad) constituency and won the elections.
- After the election of Narendra Modi as the Prime Minister of India in May 2014, Amit Shah was elected as the President of the BJP in July 2014. He was re-elected as BJP President on 24 January 2016.
- He was a Rajya Sabha MP from 2017 to 2019, from which he resigned in mid-2019 to contest the Gandhinagar seat in Gujarat in the Lok Sabha.
- In 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Amit Shah contested from Gandhinagar. He won the election and got 888,210 votes.
- Shah is considered one of the most powerful political leaders of India.
- He played a very important role in 2019 Lok Sabha elections which saw BJP winning 302 seats out of total 542.
- Amit Shah is married to Sonal Shah and the couple has a son, named Jay.
- Just like Narendra Modi, Shah was also said to be very close to his mother, who died in 2010.
- Amit Shah is also called a modern-day “Chanakya” for being a master strategist, hardheaded and clear-sighted with a creative mind & skills.