Here are some interesting facts about Anupam Kher:
Anupam Kher, a versatile Indian actor was born on March 7th, 1955 in Shimla in a Kashmiri Pandit Hindu family. He completed his education from D. A. V. School, Shimla. He has appeared in over 500 films in several languages and in many plays in different roles.
Interesting facts about Anupam Kher:
- Anupam Kher is the former Chairman of Film and Television Institute of India and has achieved two National Film Awards and eight Filmfare Awards.
- He is a former chairperson of the National School of Drama. Some of his early roles were in plays that he performed at the Himachal Pradesh University.
- In 1984, he played a retired middle-class man who loses his son in the film Saaransh which led him to win the Filmfare Award for Best Actor.
- He married actress Kirron Kher, who is now a Member of the Indian Parliament from Chandigarh. Both Kirron and Anupam were married before they fell in love with each other. Anupam had an arranged marriage in 1979, but it did not work. Kirron was also married to a Mumbai businessman, Gautam Berry. However, both of theirs’ marriages failed and in 1985, Anupam and Kirron got married.
- He won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in the film Vijay (1988).
- He won National Film Award twice for his performances in Daddy and Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara.
- In 2007, he with his batchmate of NSD, Satish Kaushik, started a film production company, Karol Bagh Productions and their first film was Tere Sang which was directed by Satish Kaushik.
- In 2010, he was appointed as the goodwill ambassador of the Pratham Education Foundation, which aims to improve children’s education in India.
- In 2011, Kher starred alongside Mohanlal and Jayaprada in the Malayalam romantic film, ‘Pranayam’. He chose this film as one of the seven best films of his career.
- He has hosted many TV shows such as Say Na Something to Anupam Uncle, Sawaal Dus Crore Ka, Lead India, and The Anupam Kher Show – Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai.
Must Read: Interesting facts about Sudha Murthy
- He has shared the screen with superstar Shah Rukh Khan in many movies like Darr, Zamaana Deewana, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Mohabbatein, Veer-Zaara, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, and Happy New Year.
- In the film, Wednesday his role of the Police Commissioner, Rathore was very much appreciated.
- He holds the record for winning the Filmfare Award for Best Comedian five times for films like Ram Lakhan, Lamhe, Khel, Darr and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.
- Kher has written a play about his own life called Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai, which was directed by Feroz Abbas Khan.
- He also starred in a number of Punjabi films such as Yaaraan Naal Bahaaraan.
- In 2014, Kher starred in a fictional romantic British film, Shongram which was set during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War.
- In 2016, Anupam Kher was a narrator in the ABP News documentary TV series Bharatvarsh, which displayed the journey from ancient India to the 19th century.