Mahendra Singh Dhoni is one the calmest captain India has ever had and also one of the most successful ones having lead India to T20 and ODI World Cup triumphs. Not only a splendid captain with a beyond amazing tactical awareness of the game, but he is also known as the best finisher in cricket having won a plethora of matches for India from hopeless situations, one of the most famous ones being his knock in the 2011 ODI World Cup Final against Sri Lanka. Below we’ve listed his records, awards, and his best achievements.
- MS Dhoni was also decorated with the Padma Bhushan in 2018, India’s third highest civilian honor.
- The record of the most international stumpings (161) is also held by him.
- MS Dhoni as a captain has played the most number of international matches (331).
- Dhoni has hit 204 international sixes as a captain.
- From his debut to 11 matches, he also holds the record for the longest unbeaten run in test cricket.
- He is also the first Indian wicket-keeper to achieve the 4000 test run mark.
- He is the third captain to win a flamboyant 100 games.
- As a captain, Dhoni won 41 T20I matches which is the highest number so far.
- In T20Is, Dhoni is the first player to ever achieve the 1000 runs mark.
- A biopic M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story depicting the life of MS Dhoni came out in 2016.
- Guided the Indian team to the 2007 T20 World Cup and the 2011 ODI World Cup. Also took the team to the Champions Trophy pedestal in 2013, having an unbeaten tournament in the progress. Has all three major international trophies under his belt.
- He holds the record of scoring the fastest test century when he reached his ton against Pakistan off 93 balls. He is also famous for his helicopter shot which was taught to him by his coach Santosh Lal.
- Holds the record for most number of wins as Test Captain. He has captained India in 60 Test Matches and won 27 out of them. Was the first captain to take India to No.1 in the test rankings.
- Was the most expensive players in the first edition of the IPL. Has tasted immense success at the domestic level to having guided his franchise Chennai Super Kings to three titles and his state Ranchi to good runs at the national level.
Must Read: IPL 2019 Rajasthan Royals team
- Was conferred the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel becoming the second cricketer after Kapil Dev to receive this honor.
- The first player to receive the ICC ODI Player of the Year award in 2008 and 2009 twice. In 2009, was named as the captain of ICC World Test XI and ICC World ODI XI teams. In 2011, 2012 and 2013 India was named as ICC team of the year with Dhoni at the helm.
- Dhoni received The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2007. Received The Padma Shri in 2009. Was nominated for the Padma Shri too.
- In 2011, Time magazine included Dhoni as one of the “Most Influential People in the World”, in its annual Time 100 list. Forbes ranked Dhoni at 23rd in the list of highest paid athletes in the world in 2015. His net value is $30 million and he currently endorses over 15 products.
Recommended Reading: Virender Sehwag: Some Lesser Known Facts About The World’s Most Destructive Batsman