Interesting facts about Smriti Irani – Smriti Irani, born as Smriti Malhotra, is an Indian politician and former television actress who was born on 23 March 1976 to a Bengali mother, Shibani Bagchi, and a Punjabi-Maharashtrian father, Ajay Kumar Malhotra. She is currently serving as Textiles Minister in the Government of India.
Here are some interesting facts about Smriti Irani:
- Irani did her schooling from Holy Child Auxilium School in New Delhi and later she joined School of Open Learning at DU.
- In 2000, she made her acting debut with on Channel Star Plus in TV series Aatish and Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal. In the same year, Irani got the lead role of Tulsi Virani in Ekta Kapoor’s production Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, which was one of the longest running TV serial in the history of Indian Television.
- Smriti got immense popularity from that show. She holds the record of winning five consecutive Indian Television Academy Award for Best Actress – Popular.
- In 2001, she played the role of Sita in Ramayana on Zee TV. In the same year, Smriti married Zubin Irani, a Parsi businessman.
- The couple had their first child in October 2001, a son. In September 2003, they had their second child, a daughter.
- She also has a stepdaughter from her husband’s previous marriage.
- Smriti participated in Miss India pageant in 1998 but couldn’t win.
- She has also hosted a dance reality show on 9X.
- She has also produced and co-produced some TV shows.
- Irani joined Bhartiya Janata Party in 2003. During the general elections for the 14th Lok Sabha in 2004, she contested against Kapil Sibal from Chandni Chowk constituency in Delhi but failed to win.
- Smriti was made Vice-President of Maharashtra Youth Wing in 2004.
- In May 2009, while campaigning for Vijay Goel’s candidature in New Delhi, she raised her concerns about the safety of women in New Delhi. She supported capital punishment for rapists.
- Irani soon gained popularity as a Politician and leader. She was appointed as BJP’s National Secretary in 2010.
- Irani contested in 2014 general elections against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi constituency of UP where she lost to Gandhi by 1, 07,923 votes.
- PM Narendra Modi appointed her as the Minister of Human Resource Development in his cabinet on 26 May 2014.
- In July 2016, she was given the Ministry of Textiles in a cabinet reshuffle.
- In 2019 Lok Sabha election, Smriti Irani is contesting again against Congress president Rahul Gandhi from Amethi. The result of the elections will be declared on 23 May 2019.
Controversy regarding education qualifications
- Irani was accused of giving contradictory affidavits about her educational qualifications during elections. For the 2004 Lok Sabha elections, she showed her educational qualification as B.A. from Delhi University in her affidavit.
- While filing affidavits in her nomination papers for Rajya Sabha from Gujarat in 2011 and Lok Sabha from Uttar Pradesh in 2014, she said her highest educational qualification was, B.com, Part 1 from School of Open Learning at Delhi University.
- In April 2019, Irani confirmed that she is not a graduate. She revealed that she undertook her exams for B.Com first year from School of Open Learning, but did not complete the three-year degree.