The 14th Prime Minister of the world’s biggest democracy, Narendra Modi has taken the international arena by storm. One of the most successful world leaders today, Modi has made a name for himself and the country in grand fashion. Topping all the major polls and coming out as the most influential and one of the most powerful world leaders today, Modi has put India on the world map owing to his excellent strategies and reforms. We take a look at his life from a tea seller to India’s prime minister.
Some interesting facts about Narendra Modi
- He was born to Damodardas Mulchand and Heeraben Modi into a grocer’s family on 17th September 1950. As a child, Modi had ambitions of joining the Indian army which speaks volumes about his dedication to the country which was visible from a young age itself. We left home at the age of 17 to travel the country and make a career for himself.
- Modi helped his father at a tea-stall at the Vadnagar Railway Station. He learnt the meaning of hard work and money from here and has often attributed this phase of his life to his success today.
- He was a born patriot and served as a volunteer to the Indian army during the Indo- Pak war of 1965 and also volunteered to help the flood victims in Gujarat in 1967.
Also read: Hemant Karkare: ATS Chief And 26/11 Hero
- Made his venture into politics by joining the RSS at their headquarters in Ahmedabad. His talent was soon noted and he was assigned to BJP in Gujarat in 1985.
- Went onto become the Chief Minister of Gujarat and transformed the state completely making it a haven for business. During his 13 years as Chief Minister, he never took one holiday. In the year 2010 United Nations awarded Gujarat as the 2nd best state in the world.
- Was responsible for bringing BJP into power in the country after he, as the face of the party, campaigned successfully to bring BJP into power as the sole party. His fantastic oration skills captured the masses who connected with Modi’s ideas and vision for the country.
- He was sworn in as the Prime Minister of India on 26th May 2014 after Bhartiya Janata Party won the elections with huge margins.
- Has revolutionised India with the launch of campaigns like ‘Make-in-India’, ‘Digital India’ and ‘Skill India’. He is also responsible for bringing a single tax in the country known as GST which has been a blessing for businesses and citizens alike. He also spearheaded the demonetization movement to fight black money.
- Opened more than 15 crore bank accounts to provide banking services to the rural sectors in India with life cover and pension.
- He has more than 45.9 million followers on Twitter and is the most followed leader in the world. He is considered as India’s most techno-savvy leader being present on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn among others.
Do also read: Sher Shah of the Kargil War: Captain Vikram Batra