Bollywood’s leading lady, Sridevi in half a century worked in 300 films delivering success after success. One of the biggest names in the Hindi movie industry, Sridevi is considered to be the only actor to have ever achieved superstardom after starting working as a child artist at an early age of 4. The immensely loved actress suffered a cardiac arrest at the age of 54 in Dubai. We bring to you some interesting and surprising facts about the actress.
- Her real name was Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan but she adapted Sridevi for the screen. She first appeared on the silver screen as a child artist when she was only four years of age. Sridevi was only 13 years old when she acted with Rajinikanth in Moondru Mudichu (Tamil film from 1976).
- She lost her father while she was shooting for Lamhe. After flying home for the last rites she returned immediately to complete the shooting of her film. This was a big testimony of her strong character and passion for her work.
- Sridevi refused a film with Steven Speilberg when she was at the peak of her career in 90s. She was approached for ‘Jurrasic Park’, but declined the role because she felt it didn’t challenger her enough.
- Anil Kapoor and she starred in 13 films together and delivered Mr India, Lamhe, Laadla, Judaai among many others which are all time favourites. Her films with actor Jeetendra were also huge successes with the pair acting in 16 films together.
- While films like “Mawaali” (1983), “Tohfa” (1984), “Mr India” (1987) and “Chandni” (1989) kept her at the top in the box-office game, her outings like “Sadma” (1983), “ChaalBaaz” (1989), “Lamhe” (1991), and “Gumrah” (1993) earned her critical acclaim.
- Her majority films were dubbed by Rekha and Naaz as she was not very proficient in Hindi in the beginning of her career. She did not know a word of Hindi when she made her debut in Bollywood. However she worked on this and became fluent in several languages including Tamil, Telugu, English and Hindi.
- Following her marriage to film producer Boney Kapoor in 1997, Sridevi took a 15-year break from films before making her comeback in 2012 with “English Vinglish,” which was a huge hit. Her subsequent films once again brought back her amazing acting to the screen and won hearts all over the country.
- Was awarded India’s fourth highest civilian honour, the Padma Shri, for her services to the film industry in 2013.
Recommended Reading: Last Pictures of Sridevi With Funeral News Updates
For more updates, do Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+