IPL 2019: Catch up on Today IPL match live updates KKR vs KXIP – Kolkata won by 28 runs
Today IPL match live updates KKR vs KXIP:
- Kolkata won by 28 runs
Kolkata – 218/4 (20.0 Ovs)
Punjab – 190/4 (20.0 Ovs)
- End of the match and it’s filled out for Punjab towards the culminating stages. Couple of big hits ensure the run rate isn’t too waning for them but the 28 run defeat sees them slip below in the table after their second match.
- Miller brings up his 50 up and though it helped hold fort at a time when nothing was going Punjab’s way, the innings had not been a fruitful one in the larger scheme of things, 177/4.
- Bowled! End of Mayank as he tries to go across the line to a delivery that came into him. Wrong shot made it a tricky proposition to get under that delivery and he finds his wickets knocked over by Chawla for 58.
- Time-out time. A good partnership but Mayank has got to go really hard with Miller at the other end. 86 needed off 30 balls.
- 50 for Mayank and it’s come in 28 balls with a single off Russell. What this partnership has done well is to keep the strike rotating when the boundaries aren’t coming to now stagnate the scoreboard, 122/3.
- End of the first 10 and with spin operating from either end in Kuldeep and Narine, Miller and Mayank are unable to play their range of shots. Intent needs to be shown with the run rate shooting with every passing over, 78/3.
- Spin for the first time and both sides are pulling off identical moves here. As the field opens up, Kuldeep is brought in to add a different mix up to play. Punjab need a foundation at this stage with someone being the fulcrum of this chase
- End of the powerplay and Punjab find themselves at 51-2. It’s neck to neck at this stage but Punjab have lost a wicket in Gayle on whom they would have been really banking on to take them home.
- 5.3: stoppage in play with the umpires coming to confer for something. Overthrows awarded to Punjab after Russel decides to completely let go off a simple throw his way with the ball going straight to the boundary
Score after 5 overs, KXIP 43-2 – Agarwal 15(9) Sarfaraz Khan 5(3)
- Second Wicket : Gayle c Prasidh b A Russell 20(13) [4s-2 6s-2], Out! Gayle’s cramped out for room and the ball only manages to get a slice of his bat. He looked tentative playing this shot earlier as well and he’s being picked up by Russel. Massive game changer this
- First change up for KKR with Russell being brought onto bowl against his countryman in Gayle. This should be an interesting match up with Gayle looking to batter the in the powerplay over
- 4: 4 well delivered balls, right where needed near the pads saw Gayle being kept in control before he was given room to play his shots in the last 2. A four and a six in the mid-on region end the over and keep Punjab up with the pace of the match
- Four! Made room for himself and Mayank opens his bat to send the ball straight to the offside region for a four. Surprising why the spinners haven’t been brought on in the early period of this match
- Interesting tactic this against Gayle. He likes pace on the ball and playing the pacers early on against him well help him get the runs he needs to get his eye in the middle
- After 2 overs, PUNJAB 12/1 CRR: 6 REQ: 11.5
- The entire onus of this chase lies on Gayle’s shoulders. From his perspective, he doesn’t have time to settle in and play out the early part of his innings for no runs with the target of such a high magnitude
- First Wicket : Out! KL Rahul’s poor run goes on with him being dismissed for just 1 after a false shot off Ferguson’s delivery sees him him straight into Chawla’s hand in the close in region. 11-1 is what Punjab are at.
KOLKATA 218/4 (20.0 Ovs) CRR: 10.9, KXIP need 219 runs to win
- End of KKR’s innings with a boundary and it’s 218-4 that they’ve managed to out on. Completely killed off Punjab’s frontline pacers in the last 3 overs and the tourists are starting at a huge wall.
- Fourth Wicket : A Russell c Agarwal b Tye 48(17) [4s-3 6s-5] – Russel’s 48 off 17 balls finally comes to an end but there couldn’t have been a worst time for Punjab to pick up this wicket. Tye’s shorter length ball is pulled but falls short of the boundary to fall in the hands of the fielder
- Everything Punjab have done to find their footing back in this back has been taken apart by Russel. Hatrick of sixes by Russel off Shami and a boundary closes the over to go for 25 runs.
- Top edge and Russel couldn’t have hit a lucklier boundary. Unlucky for the bowler when the ball ends up going to the boundary with such mistimed shots. Much needed boundary and it’s followed up by a six
- KOLKATA 163/3 (17.0 Ovs) CRR: 9.59 – No ball with just 3 fielders inside the circle and Ashwin’s lack to even map out his fielders has spoilt what was such a delicious ball by Shami to clean Russel up.
- 17: excellent execution of plans by Shami with him bowling at a compelling line and length exactly to the field laid out for him. He’s been such a delight to watch on a day when everyone around him has been cleaned out
- Time out taken by KKR at the end of the 16th over and they’ll be looking to throw the bat at everything from this stage onwards. They’ve wickets in the bag and Punjab haven’t been the today in the bowling department
- Fifty for Robin and he adds to the 600 plus runs he’s gotten against Punjab. Strayed on the pads by Vilojen to spoil what was an otherwise perfect by him and there couldn’t have been an easier ball for Robin to bring his 50 up.
- Despite the way they’ve faltered today, Punjab have been exceptional in the last 9 balls. Just the 2 runs and 1 wicket have seen them put a stop on the scoring for the time being and these are vital dot balls
- Russel has walked out for KKR and his side will be looking to him to repeat his hard hitting ways of the previous match. If these last five overs go wicketless for Punjab, they’ll be left with everything to do come the batting innings
- Third Wicket : Out! Rana departs for 63 as Mayank picks up a running catch. Spin away from the batsman did the trick with Rana unable to get under the shot as he would have liked. Much needed wicket for Punjab
- 20 runs in the over and Punjab are left picking up the pieces of what has been an onslaught by this partnership. The unlikeliest of names are dwindling the opposition’s bowling and this is definitely going to go past 200
- Rana gets his 50 and it’s an innings that has seen him score over 200. 4,6,4 and 1 in his last 4 deliveries has seen him completely finish everything that Punjab have thrown at him.
- With Mandeep being asked to come on and bowl, it shows how much Ashwin is out of his depth as a captain. No idea of how to operate his bowlers around and second fiddle bowlers are not going to help their cause
- 100 up in 11.3 and if this partnership isn’t broken in the next two overs, KXIP could find themselves staring at over a chase of 200 runs. Ashwin ends his spell of 4 overs for 47 runs and he’s been cleaned out today
- Good over by Vijolen as he keeps the batsmen guessing with a mixup of deliveries throughout his second over. Just what Punjab needed after losing their way the last couple of overs.
- Fifty run partnership up between Robin and Rana and it’s taken KKR to 89-2 at the end of the first half of the innings. Vijolen makes a foray back into the attack for his second over and Punjab need to make an inroad here.
- These two are well set in the middle here. Ashwin’s run out of ideas by the 10th over itself and his bowling hasn’t inspired any confidence either. Boundaries coming by the over.
- 25 runs of the second over, one that had 3 sixes in it and a four to completely decimate the spinner. Horrid bowling, sent to all parts of the pitch allowing Narine to send the ball all around.
- That 25 run over was the most expensive one this IPL this now and we suspect that there will be another that goes for so many runs. There were huge questions about why Punjab had shelled out such a huge amount for this spinner and that over only compounds them.
- Second Wicket : Identical dismissal and this time it’s Narine who has to depart. Heaved at Viljoen’s inswinging delivery and only ended up holing it to the wicket-keeper. Up in the air for such a long time but it’s held onto yet again and the fielding drills of Punjab clearly showing here.
- First Wicket : That up in the air for such a long time but it’s safely held on by Miller under the lights. These are not easy catches and Punjab have done excellently to hold on to this. Lynn departs for 10 at the hands of Shami.
- Kings XI Punjab (Playing XI): Lokesh Rahul(w), Chris Gayle, Mayank Agarwal, Sarfaraz Khan, David Miller, Mandeep Singh, Hardus Viljoen, Ravichandran Ashwin(c), Varun Chakravarthy, Mohammed Shami, Andrew Tye
- Kolkata Knight Riders (Playing XI): Chris Lynn, Nitish Rana, Robin Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik(w/c), Shubman Gill, Andre Russell, Sunil Narine, Piyush Chawla, Kuldeep Yadav, Lockie Ferguson, Prasidh Krishna
- Kings XI Punjab have won the toss and have opted to field
Match will begin at 8 pm and the toss will be held at 7.30 pm.
Today IPL match live updates KKR vs KXIP – Preview Highlights:
- KKR and KXIP will play in the sixth match of the IPL on 27th March, Wednesday
- The match that will be telecast on Star Sports 1, Hindi/HD will take place at 8:00 pm with the toss scheduled for 7:30 pm along with the line-ups
- Both sides sit on 2 points each after having defeated SRH and RR in their opening clashes respectively
R Ashwin (C), KL Rahul, Chris Gayle, Andrew Tye, Mayank Agarwal, Ankit Rajpoot, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Karun Nair, David Miller, Varun Chakaravarthy, Sam Curran, Mohammed Shami, Prabhsimran ran Singh, Nicolas Pooran, Moises Henriques, Hardus Viljoen, Darshan Nalkande, Sarfaraz Khan, Arshdeep Singh, Agnivesh Ayachi, Harpreet Brar, Murugan Ashwin
Dinesh Karthik (C) , Robin Uthappa, Chris Lynn, Andre Russell, Sunil Narine, Shubman Gill, Piyush Chawla, Kuldeep Yadav, Prasidh Krishna, Shivam Mavi, Nitish Rana, Rinku Singh, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Carlos Brathwaite, Lockie Ferguson, Joe Denly, Harry Gurney, Nikhil Naik, Shrikant Mundhe, Prithvi Raj Yarra, Anrich Nortje.