A veteran poet, lyricist and scriptwriter, Javed Akhtar is a name from the tinsel town that needs no introduction. Born in Gwalior city of Madhya Pradesh, to Jan Nisar Akhtar, a Bollywood film songwriter and Urdu poet, and Singer Safia Akhtar, a teacher and writer, the lineage of Akhtar’s writing skills can be traced down to the past seven generations.
- After his birth,his parents shifted to Lucknow and later to Aligarh where he spent most of his childhood. He also lived in Bhopal for sometime where he attended Cambridge School.
- Javed Akhtar came to Bombay October 4, 1964. Initially, he used to write dialogues for minor movies and was also used to work as an assistant occasionally.
- He got major break in the year 1969 with the movie SeetaaurGeeta. It was on the set of this movie that he met Honey Irani, his first wife. They have two children, Farhan and Zoya. Farhan Akhtar is a leading producer in the Indian film industry today, whereas Zoya Akhtar is excelling as a director in Bollywood.
- However, the marriage didn’t work out quite well and he got divorced. He remarried toShabanaAazmi, daughter of another famous poet, KaifiAzmi.
- Javed Akhtar got major fame when he worked with the famous scriptwriter Salim Khan. Both of them worked together as a duo, Salim-Javed and delivered some beautiful hits like Zanjeer, Deewar, Haathi Mere Saathi, Don, etc.
- The first published poetry collection of Javed Akhtar was called Tarkashin 1980. It became a huge success and it is still available in Hindi and Urdu language.
- Javed Akhtar won national award for best lyricist for the hit movie Saaz in the year 1996. He also won national awards for Border and Godmother in 1997 and 1998 respectively.
Till date, Akhtar has been honored with 7 Filmfare awards and the government of India has honored with the titles of Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan.
Recommended Reading: The magic weaver – Gulzar Sahab
For more updates, Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+