Wing Commander Abhinandan arrived in India through the Attari border, Amritsar. From there he is taken to the Amritsar airport for his onward flight to New Delhi with Senior Officials of Indian Airforce and his parents. Prayers of Millions of Indians and the efforts of the Indian Govt. finally bore fruit and led to the safe return of the IAF pilot.
He was initially brought from Islamabad to Lahore from where he was brought to the Attari Border. Hundreds of Indians are enthusiastically waiting to welcome WC Abhinandan since morning. He finally crossed to the Indian side around 9 pm.
The BSF Daily Retreat and flag-lowering ceremonies were cancelled at the Attari-Wagah border front today. The BSF didn’t want to perform the ceremony until the IAF pilot returns back safe to his motherland.
Know the complete journey of Wing Commander Abhinandan from capture to release.
It has been reported that Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthman will be released today between 3 to 4 pm during the beating retreat ceremony at Attari-Wagah Border. However, there is still ambiguity about his arrival, whether it should be through the Wagah Border or by Air Force directly to New Delhi.
Here is the entire Journey of Wing Commander Abhinandan from capture to release.
- While retaliating to the intrusion of the Pakistan Air Force in India, his aircraft MiG-21 Bison crashed and he fell in the Pakistani territory. Seconds before his craft was shot, he had shot down Pakistani F-16.
- As he fell down from his Parachute, he had no idea if he had fallen in the Indian territory or Pakistan. He started calling “Long live India”, to which the people of Pakistani reverted “Long live Pakistan”.
- Soon after, many Pakistani commoners were ready to hit him with stones and he ran half a kilometer to protect himself.
- He even shot in the air to scare people away, but the mob became even more furious. He then fell in a pond where the mob captured him and started beating him. He shot another fire in the air but one of the commoners, who was also carrying a pistol hit him in the knee and he fell down.
- WC Commander then threw away his pistol and quickly tried to eat away some papers he was carrying in his pocket, but they were procured by the Pakistan Army.
- He was then taken into custody by the Pakistan army.
- After his capture, India didn’t agree on any deal but asked for an immediate return of the Indian Wing Commander.
- There were some videos showing his capture and ill-treatment by the mob were released by Pakistan, which were later taken off from the Internet. In this regard, Indian Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said, “In the light of the situation prevailing in the country today we expect the social media platforms to ensure that they should not allow their platform to be abused by content which is designed to weaken the morale of the country.”
- He added: “We had received complaints…y’day an unfortunate instance had come up where humiliating videos of the Wing Commander (Abhinandan) had been uploaded on YouTube from Pakistan side. We had sent a notice to YouTube & complying with the same they took down 11 such videos.”
- Such an act was a violation of the Geneva act of 1949.