A long shoreline with internationally renowned and pristine beaches, backwater stretches, historic monuments and a rich cultural heritage, Trivandrum or Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of the Indian state which is quite rightly called as“God’s own country”, Kerala, is located on seven low-hills at the southwest tip of India. Here are the best five places to visit in Trivandrum:
- Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, it is said to one of the richest temples in the world.
- A fusion of Keralite and Dravidian architectural styles, Padmanabhaswamy Temple is also famous for its intricate stonework.
- The interior of the temple is beautifully adorned with murals and paintings.
- Some of these images are of Lord Vishnu’s Narasimha Avatar, Lord Ganapati and Gaja Lakshmi.
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Enjoy the serenity of nature amidst the Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary which is located about 35 km north of Trivandrum.
- This wildlife sanctuary is a habitat of over a hundred species of fauna including Asian Elephant, Leopard, Tiger, Slender Loris and reptiles like King Cobra, Travancore Tortoise etc.
- The place also offers lodging options as well as lion safaris for the adventure junkies!
- Situated at the heart of capital city, Napier Museum is the perfect site for history and culture lovers.
- Museum is a home to a rare collection of archaeological and historic artifacts, ancient ornaments, bronze idols, a temple chariot and ivory carvings.
- The natural history museum which lies in the close vicinity of Napier Museum is also worth a visit.
Skydive at AMAS
- The Academy for Mountaineering and Adventure Sports (AMAS) hosts varieties of land, water and air activities which makes it a must-visit destination for adventure lovers.
- Land activities include Rope Climbing, Trekking, Flying Fox, Aerial Skating, Adventure Games etc.
- Water activities at AMAS includes Water Rafting, Kayaking, Wind Surfing, Banana Boat Riding etc.
- Air activities offered by this academy includes sky diving, paragliding, parasailing, hot air ballooning amongst others.
KERALAM – Museum of history and heritage
- Keralam shows history of Kerala through different ages, evolution of Kingdoms and the New Kerala.
- Built in a traditional and colonial style, the museum with quaint hallways, arched gates and majestic pillars take you to different time zones.
- Experience the history with informational boards and kiosks, video displays and narrative documentaries.
- Visiting timings are from 10am to 5.30pm and its closed on Mondays and Public holidays.
As you are interested to know about best five places to visit in Trivandrum, you may also like to know about Top five things to do in Kerala .